Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the peacocks might not actually happen as the shop I'm working in has been run out of business by a local petsmart. We might not get another fish order in before we close down fully so I'm looking at other suggestions for species to mix with my 7 L.caeruleus in the 55gal.

Just some ideal fish to look out for in other shops really? I like the look of Hongis, is it a bad idea to mix Labidochromis species? I know Demasoni are usually kept with labs but i dont like the whole mega aggressive thing.

Just done some reading on the profiles section and i've come down to 3 species that i'd try with the Labs. I like the look of Socolofi, Afra and Acei. Which one would do best if added into the tank as a unit of 5? I cant guarantee the m:f as i'll be buying very young fish to grow alongside the labs. Of the three i prefer the C.Afra.

Thanks for the help guys :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
All of them should work out great, and you should be able to keep 3 species of mbuna in a 55 gallon. I would go with the Acei, Yellow labs, and Afra. But thats just me

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
You're correct that you should stock a single Labidochromis species.
Socolofi make a nice contrast from the yellow labs, acei will eventually reach ~6", a bit tight for a 55g. Labs, afra and socolofi would work.
Check what's available, write down what you like at the store and post back here if you need help determining stocking compatibility.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Digging up my old thread instead of starting a new one on the same tank.

I've had a change of heart and i'm thinking i might get myself some demasoni for this tank and add a load more rocks. How many would you guys say was the best number to add to 7 labs? 12 seems to be the minimum number to stock anyway so i'm guessing just the 12? Not really looking to raise fry on a large scale, but i dont mind if a few survive. Thinking of adding my syno.ocellifer to this tank for cleanup/fry control. When the cichlids are fully grown though ofc, the synos about 6".

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have Acei, Rusty and Yellow labs in my 55 and so far so good. Your posts remind me a lot of myself when I was deciding what to stock, I love how demasoni look but the aggression really turns me off. One suggestion would be to research saulosi, the females are yellow and the males look real similar to demasoni, so it's easy to get the right ratio of males:females in your tank. Since you have the yellow/blue covered you wouldn't need the labs so you could get 2 more species which would make for a really colorful tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I'd do 18 or 20 with just the labs.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you say 'just the labs' DJ. Think if i had fewer Demasoni i could add a 3rd species?

Trey, i did look at Saulosi but i love labs. Just a personal thing i guess hehe.

Forgot to add that its a slightly taller 42" long 55. Not the full 48" so i feel i need fewer fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
With a shorter length I'd stick with just the two species and 12 demasoni.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.

Just another random thought, would i be able to add a couple of random males to the tank to mix up the colours a bit? Thinking perhaps a single male L. hongi and a P.Sp 'Acei'

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.