Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that cons are omnivores, and basically eat anything. However, I do like to mix it up a bit with Hikari excel pellets, Hikari gold pellets, bloodworms, flakes, and occasionally NLS pellets. I'm told cons shouldn't have that much protein, and I think Hikari excel is packed with it. What else can I feed an ominvore?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
The questionable protein source there is the blood worms- a high quality flake/pellet is ideal for an omnivore. The biggest thing you need to worry about is overfeeding, all the nutrients are taken care of with NLS. I feed all my fish (predators, algae grazers, foragers) NLS almost exclusively. Even my wild caught fish do great year after year with just NLS.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
triscuit said:
The questionable protein source there is the blood worms- a high quality flake/pellet is ideal for an omnivore. The biggest thing you need to worry about is overfeeding, all the nutrients are taken care of with NLS. I feed all my fish (predators, algae grazers, foragers) NLS almost exclusively. Even my wild caught fish do great year after year with just NLS.
The thing is, my convict doesn't seem to take to well to NLS. He just chews it and spits it back out. But Hikari, he absolutely loves! My concern is I'm feeding him Cichild Excel, and the package states that it contains vegetable matter that African Cichilds love, and it has a minimum of 35% crude protein. Should I quit feeding him that?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts