Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marineland 400 OTB twin filter for my 55 gal. I also have a sand substrate. My intake filter is about half way down. I was afraid I'd pick up sand. Should I extend it closer to the bottom for more efficient filtering??? And...should I place a prefilter sponge on the end of the intake tube??

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
If you have a good current in the tank to keep debris floating around in the water, it will eventually get into the filter no matter where the intake is. In my larger tanks I use sump systems, where the intake is usually at the surface in form on a overflow, and it still get's rid of debris very efficiently.

A prefilter sponge ads additional biofiltration, and is great at preventing small fry from getting sucked into the filter. Larger particles, like dead leaves from plants, might or might not get stuck on the sponge, but they will not get sucked into the filter. You will probably have a bit more debris floating around.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Dr Bob said:
I have a Marineland 400 OTB twin filter for my 55 gal. I also have a sand substrate. My intake filter is about half way down. I was afraid I'd pick up sand. Should I extend it closer to the bottom for more efficient filtering??? And...should I place a prefilter sponge on the end of the intake tube??
I keep mine about an inch off of the sand, I don't pick up any sand. I have two cascade 1000's and PFC, so I'm not sure if your filters are more powerful.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx so much for the reply!! I do have decent circulation in the tank but I have to think that if I can get it down further without sand pick up this would be a little more efficient.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts