Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with my new Oscar, I just got him, he's around 7" long.
I've tried to feed him pellets, sticks, and earth worms but he just lets them pass by, I also have a Dempsey in there and he eats just fine.

I picked them up late afternoon on Friday, he's very active but is a bit shy if I come near the tank.

His stomach looks a little concaved too...

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Give people some time, it's only been a few hours....

Keep with the earth worms, he will eventually eat. I guarantee it.

Oscars hate change and it's still adjusting to its new surroundings. Just be patient and remove any uneaten food. Try only feeding once per day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TheFishGuy said:
Give people some time, it's only been a few hours....

Keep with the earth worms, he will eventually eat. I guarantee it.

Oscars hate change and it's still adjusting to its new surroundings. Just be patient and remove any uneaten food. Try only feeding once per day.
Ok

I was worried about his concaved stomach, it has been like that since I got him so I'm wondering if he might have picked up a disease in his old tank or something, but like I said he is very active and curious but not eating....

·
Registered
414 Posts
the skinny belly is a bad sign, just keep your eye on it. if it doesnt seem to improve after a week you might want to do a broad spectrum parasite treatment...

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I'd say your oscar is just fine. Give it some time. Possibly up to a week. They will not starve themselves to death.

Keep and eye out for white stringy poo.

If you're going to treat with anything then let it be epsom salt. One cup per 100 gallons. It's a dieretic and could possibly help, but definately won't hurt. I personally do not like to add chemicals of any kind without good reason. Looking at your oscar you really do not have anything to worry about. :) Looks healthy to me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oscars "pout" sometimes when they are first moved to a new enviroment. **** likely be fine. But keep his water very clean, and keep an eye out for symptoms of disease. Try to keep stress to a minimum for the first week too (helps to dim the lights). Update everyone in a week unless he starts showing other symptoms...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Well he finally ate, and boy did he eat, the earthworms worked as well as some pellets

I will keep you guys updated on his stomach

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
414 Posts
yeah he sounds fine, the bad one is when their stomach has sunken and they keep spitting out the food. if he is able to swallow it he will be fat n healthy in no time :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts