Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I set up a 180 gal in the summer and am now growing out some eartheaters, an arowana, a few severum and a polkadot cat and an albino pleco. all together I have about 10 fish. I am trying to add 3 more fish and stop at that. One being a red shoulder severum, another a geophagus jurapari, and yet another being an albino oscar.

I was just wondering if I should keep it at 10 or add the three more. Most of the fish I have grow to 10-12 inches, excluding the arowana.

What should I do?

Thanks for the advice,
Larry

·
Registered
332 Posts
What type of Aro? My understanding was the only one that you could get away with in a 180 was a Jardini, and they are known for killing everything and being loner fish once they reach 10" in size. 180 for a Silver that would reach over 2 feet in two years is too small, won't be able to turn around properly or swim. Most recommend at least 3' wide tanks for Silvers.

I think Eartheaters/Severums/Oscar would probably work - add the Oscar last once the Geos have put on some size.

I think the stock you are looking for might have more success in a 240g or larger. In theory it works well because you'll have fish in all ranges of the tank (Eartheaters at the bottom, Severums/Oscar in the mid, Aro at the top).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I plan to remove the silver aro at two feet to selll or give away to a better home (if I can find one) the problem is if I return it to the pet store they will house it in a small 75 gallon tank which would be worse for the arowana.

However I plan to give it to someone with a 3 ft wide tank once it gets to two feet.

Anyway, my question was if the extra fish would be over kill or over stock on my 180 gal tank. My next addition will be a red shoulder (rotkeil) severum and a geo jurapari. Once everyone settles in I may add the albino oscar. Albinos seem to be more docile then regular oscars so hopefully that helps. Any more comments are appreciated

1 - 3 of 3 Posts