Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am doing some long term planning for a cichlid tank that I want to set up in the distant future. I've had cichlids in the past, back in my college days, and really miss them. Currently I have a reef tank and have been out of the cichlid and fresh water game for a while. I would like to have at least 1 tiger Oscar, along with a Jack Dempsey and Green Severum and maybe a few convicts and pleco. I have room for 75, or 90 gallon tank. Would the 3 big cichlids and few convicts be OK in either of these sizes? Would a 90 hold all of them and potentially a 2nd Tiger? My main fish that I want to keep is a Tiger Oscar, but I don't want it to be bored in a solitary tank. Thanks for the feedback.

-pp

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Oh my.... you HAVE been out of things for awhile! :)
We've learned a lot about water quality in the past couple decades and the requirements for successfully keeping Apex Predators such as the Oscar, thriving and healthy in the freshwater aquarium. Diseases such as Hole in Head (HiH) and Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) are serious problems that WILL originate from poor water quality conditions causing stress for the fish in the aquarium.
Organic waste defecated from the fish and uneaten food is the culprit, and it's final breakdown in the bacteria cycle into Nitrate compounds. Measured Nitrate levels higher than 20 -30 PPM in the aquarium can lead to all sorts of problems...
-
With all that said, I believe you could just - barely - keep a single, full-sized Oscar in a 90 gallon tank. The 75G or 90G tank would be useful initially to serve as a temporary grow out tank, however. It may help to inform that the Oscar is a fish that routinely grows out to 16" to 18' inches in heavy-bodied length. If you want a pair of these fish, you should place them in 72" X 24" wide, 150G to 180G aquarium. A single Jack Dempsey could then be stocked with that pair of Oscars, along with possibly a trio of Convicts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow. Yeah I guess I didn't realize an Oscar would need such a big tank size since most information out there says 55 minimum (which yeah a 55 seems too small), but figured a 75, or 90 would be OK. I'll probably keep away then, I do love Oscars, but I think if I ever go 100 + it will probably be with the reef tank. Thanks!

- pp

1 - 3 of 3 Posts