Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I have a 110 Gallon tank, with a very large oscar, about 30 convicts, and a very large pleco. It has a Magnum 350 canister filter, and a Emperor 400 Bio-wheel. The water is in perfect condition, and all the fish are thriving.

About two weeks ago I had a friend with a water problem, and he had a couple goldfish that had been living in it for a couple weeks that his oscar's didn't eat. So, I took one of the goldfish and fed it to my oscar. He never gets live fish.

Since then, he has only eaten a couple times, and very lightly. He appears helthy still, and is active. He also exhibits hunger, and approaches the top of the tank with the other fish during feeding time. But, he acts as if though he doesn't even see the food. I am feeding large cichlid-gold pellets. I have also tried Omega One freeze dried shrimp. He has eaten occasionally as I said, but this is not his normal pattern. We are talking like a few times in the last couple weeks.

I've tried to entice him into eating the food by making him chase my finger, and that has resulted in him eating and then spitting out the food a couple times.

All I can figure is that all he wants now is live food? What could be the deal? And what do I do to make sure he stays healthy?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I doubt he is snobbed himselft to live food only after one feeding. He might be sick, does he show any signs of illness? Bloating, inability to 'float straight' bulged eyes, sores?

It might be nothing wrong as well, he might just be sulking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He appears to be healthy. He is active as usual. There are no noticeable changes in his ability to swim, or appearance.

I even notice that he is much more interested in eating my hand when I am trying to clean the tank. The fish is obviously hungry. I have to chase him away. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
He'll probably start taking the pellets again when he gets hungry enough. Maybe try a different kind or some Krill. Mine kill for krill :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Water tests fine.. Tonight I soaked my freeze dried shrimp in some water to soften them up first, and then I enticed him with my fingers. Its tough not losing a finger but I got him to eat 4 or 5 shrimp. So, I'm not sure what is going on. To be honest, he really acts like he is blind. Is this a possibility? I treated the water a couple times with anti-bacterial and anti-fungal medicines when I got the tank from another person. Would something else be contributing to poor sight? Such as a certain type of lighting or something?

·
Registered
376 Posts
maybe try something a little bit different...like earth worms. Just give him one and see if he eats it. It's live and wiggles around...if he goes nuts over it, you know he's only trying to get live food out of you. Mine havent eaten live fish, but they sure do like their worms for sure.
You should be able to find out if he's playing you or if he's not feeling good.
I hope this helps :)
Isabell

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah.. That is a good idea.. Is there any worry over disease by digging up worms in the back yard? Or using store bought worms?

·
Registered
376 Posts
My kids dig them up all over and they just do their best to get all the dirt off. The oscars go absolutely nuts over them. I've never had an issue from the ones in the ground outside. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I never thought of that....I live on a 30 acre organic strawberry farm. I guess if you lived in town you would have to think of these things.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That will wash out color too, but is a excellent source of protein. Try frozen beef heart. It has an excellent source of beta carotene for color. And remember you want your Cichlids on a regimine of a pellet at all times. Try cichlid bio gold + its pretty good stuff. That is a lot of fish though especially when the convicts get full grown...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The oscar should eat the convicts.. But he doesn't... I was hoping if it got hungry enough it would. Thye just keep multiplying.

·
Registered
619 Posts
What if he does not like to compete for feeding with the other fish, it sounds like the convicts are multiplying etc.. He might be sulking after getting new tankmates . If he chases your finger on the glass then i would assume he can see fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah he does chase my fingers on the glass.. ANd he definitely competes for food with the convicts. But, it hasn't been a problem in the past, from what I have seen. The convicts are smart enough to get the heck out of the way when he comes strolling through. The problem is, I can drop the food right in front of his face and he'll only glance at it, or quickly eat and spit it back out. Which means the convicts are going to get it, within the next 5 seconds. I'm going to try some worms, and see how he does with those.. I can dangle worms in the tank without fear of losing a finger. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts