Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4.5 year old, 11 inch Oscar in a 75 gallon tank. He is the only fish in there. There are a few snails. It has a sand bottom. The tank is well established and all the testing tests okay. The water is changed every 7 to 10 days at 25 to 33%.

"Oliver" use to be a very aggressive eater. Every time I (or my assistant) would walk in my office (where the tank is) he would rush up to the top to get something to eat. I feed him pellets and some freezed dried shrimp daily. He would get a minnow every two to three days. He was truly a "water dog" and was always glad to see us.

Four about four months now he is no longer an eager eater. For the most part he just lays around near the bottom of the tank. Some times he will come up and gently take a freezed dried shrimp. He is not interested in pellets. He will eat a minnow but no longer aggressively chases them. If they happen to be close he will eat it.

He has always moved sand a lot. I am wondering if he injured him mouth or something but I would have thought this would be better by now. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
654 Posts
brent773 said:
I have a 4.5 year old, 11 inch Oscar in a 75 gallon tank. He is the only fish in there. There are a few snails. It has a sand bottom. The tank is well established and all the testing tests okay. The water is changed every 7 to 10 days at 25 to 33%.
I'd recommend changing 50% water every week. What are the water parameters test results? Recommended to keep nitrates below 20ppm.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
ken31cay said:
brent773 said:
I'd recommend changing 50% water every week. What are the water parameters test results? Recommended to keep nitrates below 20ppm.
I would also skip the minnows too and try feed a quality pellet. If you arent breeding them yourself they could introduce illnesses to your tank.

·
Registered
218 Posts
With that water change schedule, and stated volume of changes, it's really not possible to keep water in good condition. An Oscar that size and age creates a very heavy bioload for a 75 g tank. Change more water, more often. Ease into a schedule of 75% every 4-5 days

1 - 5 of 5 Posts