Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure what's up with my O...he's about 13" and he's been getting steadily more aggressive over the last couple months.

At the point we are at now all he does is sit there with his mouth open and ram the side of the tank over and over again all day long. If anyone walks near the tank he rams the tank where they are standing. He pulls up all the plastic plants and they float all over the place, which has made me remove most of them. He's even big enough now that he drags the large peices of driftwood all over the tank.

What could be making him so dang mean? I've had O's before, but never one that was mean like this...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ok, first of all, sorry to hear he is acting out like this but there must be a reason.

Any of the more experienced people here are gonna ask you:

1. What size tank is he in?
2. What are the water parameters?
3. Any tankmates?

There are a plethora of things that you're gonna be asked here. Please start by posting the answers to these questions and I'm sure others will chime in.

Sorry to hear you are having such issues with your O. Hope you can find a way to remedy the situation with the help of good people here. Good luck.

·
Registered
410 Posts
TheFishGuy said:
Male.... he wants a female... LOL

Honestly I don't know, many larger cichlids "snap" after a while... If kept in a glass box your whole life you might be a little upset from time to time too. :)
Oh my......I'm not a cichlid but perhaps this is what is happening to me. lol

How old is this O I wonder. Perhaps if he has "snapped" to the point of no return it may be time for a clove oil and vodka cocktail? :? Don't want him to be miserable.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's in a 75g with one very small female Jack. She never comes out, but stays hidden under the driftwood unless she thinks I'm about to feed. She'll come out, grab a pellet and run right back under the driftwood. You might as well say he's alone.

As far as water parameters, they are perfect. I do a 50% water change once to twice a week.

It doesn't really concern me all that much, but I wonder if he's going to hurt himself one day while banging against the glass for hours on end. Also it's a little hard to keep a nice decorated tank with him destroying it. I can't even keep the piping on my Rena filters because he rips them off every time I put them back together. He rips the heater, pipes, plants, driftwood, and he's even gotten to the point where if you clean the glass with the magnetic cleaner he attacks it violently slamming into it over and over again. He's a little psycho.

G

·
silicone the filter stems together so its one piece.... silicone some rocks into the plastic bases of the plastic plants.. then they wont float even if he rips them up...maybe try getting an adult female oscar... although he'd probly jus merk her... never know its worth a shot...maybe put a few cons in there for him to chase around....maybe try an inline heater if you are running a canister

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would be afraid to put anything in there with him so that's out of the question. Only way I'd ever put anything else in with him is if I removed him and put him in my 120g.

I have thought about siliconing the parts of the filter tube together, but as big and powerful as he is right now I think he's probably break tear the whole thing off the hose...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't changed anything in the tank in about 2 years. He's kind of anal about how the tank is, when he got big enough he started moving the plants and putting them in different spots and whatnot. I would go and put them back where I want them and he'd just move them back where he wanted them. I finally just gave up and let him start aranging all the decorations :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.