Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit I am new to keeping oscars specifically so I don't know many of the finer details about the species. Hopefully though some more experienced enthusiasts will be able to chime in with information.

I recently purchased three oscars to grow out.

Albino 1: 1.5"
Albino 2: 2"
Tiger: 2.5"

The size differences didn't seem to be an issue and they have lived peacefully since then with no problems. The smallest oscar has caught up in size to Albino 2 over the last two weeks and all of them have good apetites. None seem underweight and are filled out nicely.

I have noticed though, that Albino 2 has an odd shape compared to Albino 1 and Tiger. A1 and Tiger are a nice oscar shape (like an eye) while A2 is longer and lankier. I thought when I purchased them that is was just a growth spurt that needed filling out, but I think he is actually just elongated.

So I was wondering, do different colour varieties of oscars have different body forms? His fins also seem to be longer than his tankmates as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm interesting and good to know. I don't suppose you have a book or site to recommend? I'd really like to know more about the genetics involved if possible :D

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Genetics stem back hundreds of generations... Some say the different body types have to do with the sex of the fish, but it's been debunked many times...

Try a google search under Astronotus ocellatus genetics and let us know what you find...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts