Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 20 years of keeping African cichlids I'm wanting to try something different. Compared to a heavy load of Africans (30+) in a 90 Gallon, what could I expect with a single Oscar and a few yet undetermined tank mates(maybe Jack Dempsey,Severum,Silver dollars) . Currently running an FX4 & Fluval 307 canister filters

How much maintenance would this setup require over the Africans?

·
Registered
654 Posts
They also need 'clean' water conditions so you'd still be doing regular water changes, the maintenance level depending on bio-load. You would wind up with less fish but they'd eventually be bigger so possibly comparable bio-load.

When I was a pre-teen I used to keep 2 tiger Oscars, Jack Dempsey, and Firemouth Cichlid in a 125 gallon and, well from what I remember, africans might just be the lower maintenance fish seeing as how Oscars are messy eaters.

·
Registered
654 Posts
deltafastback said:
Thanks for the info...Was really curious if the Oscar was as messy as its reputation. Water changes will be breeze just moved and now my 90 is right by a sink with great water pressure.
Do you have a Python water changer? If not you should definitely get one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ken31cay said:
deltafastback said:
Thanks for the info...Was really curious if the Oscar was as messy as its reputation. Water changes will be breeze just moved and now my 90 is right by a sink with great water pressure.
Do you have a Python water changer? If not you should definitely get one.
Yes!! couldn't imagine having an aquarium without one. I've had one since 99 when I bought my 90

1 - 6 of 6 Posts