Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My three year old Oscar has been sick for about two weeks now, he just lays on his side on the bottom of the tank not eating. He seems to be breathing very heavy, and also seems to have a hard time swimming. He's able to adjust his position but falls back on to one of his sides. His abdomen had some swelling, its still a bit swollen but has subsided a bit. His eye seems a bit cloudy as well, within the past couple days small dark brown spots begun appearing under his scales on his torso.

I've treated with Epsom salt 1tbsp / 10g and set the temp to 84F, and have offered green de-shelled pea's. I've also done a treatment of Metroplex (Metronidazole) with water changes in between.

My water parameters are
NH 3/4 0
NO2 0
NO3 0
ph 7.4

and he is in a 120g tank by himself, with 3 canister filters and 2 hob's. I do weekly water changes, and the media is clean too. I feed him Hikari Cichild Gold Pellets, no feeder fish. He's never had any sickness or issues over the past 3 years in the tank.

The white part never comes out, the stringy dark brown goldfish size feces kinda squeezes past it

Anyone have any advice on what to try? Thanks

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Looks like bloat or an internal obstruction of some kind. Sounds like you're doing everything you should be doing, I would probably up the epsom to 2tbsp/10g and try to keep the salinity/temp constant while replacing water after changes. How much metro are you dosing? Frequency?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done one treatment of the Metro (small bottle) It was dosed every second day with a water change beforehand. I'm planning to try a clout treatment next week, I thought back to back treatments might be damaging to the kidneys? I'm going to try upping the Epsom Salt though.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Sorry to hear this about your fish. I recently was dealing with bloat in a fish that was in pretty rough shape myself. I started using metro and thought after a little bit for as bad as he was I wanted to hit aggressively. So I went to Clout with the treatment listed in Robins Signature and did a full dose the first two days, rather than the half dose on day 2 and worked like a charm for me. I was also using epsom salt at 1tblspn per 5 gallons.

Hope all works out for you and you get him back in order! :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts