Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shop around for a used aquarium. You can often find them way cheaper than buying new. Thats how I got my 140 gallon oscar tank. I got it for $300 w/stand & glass tops. Mine was also used for salt water (got it off of www.michiganreefers.com) before so I went through LOTS of vinegar to get it clean and had it running for a long time before I put my fish in it. Have had no problems with it. There are tons of fish forums around, I'm sure you could find one locally, & there's also craigslist & ebay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You really should do at least a 75 gallon if you're not planning on getting a larger tank in the future. But, if it's just one oscar and no tank decorations when it gets bigger a 55 should be ok. With my fish I used a 55 gallon to start and after a couple months stepped up to a 140 gallon. Also, the footprint of a 55 is 48x12x18, a 75 gallon footprint is 48x15x24, not much difference in footprint but the extra space front to back and height will make for a happier oscar.

Also, I have 2 oscars that are about 5 years old, if I had one of them in a 55 gallon, it wouldn't be able to turn around because of how long they are.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I agree about the 75 gal. recommendation for an oscar by itself.
My 9" oscar is barely even a year old now, and he definitely looks like he'll fill out the tank quite nicely on his own---especially when I compare him to the older behemoths I see in some of the fish shops! You'll notice in my sig. that I've got a salvini tankmate in with mine. So far, so good, but it took a lot of experimenting to get this right---and neither of the fish are fully matured yet, so there's still no guarantees it'll work out in the long-run. So, to save yourself and your fish a lot of heartache, I highly recommend sticking with a single oscar with no tankmates in a 75 gal. tank. :thumb:

Oneeyedgeckz said:
the footprint of a 55 is 48x12x18, a 75 gallon footprint is 48x15x24, not much difference in footprint
It should be noted that this appears to be in reference to a 75 gal. tall.
My standard 75 gallon is 48"L x 18"W x 20"H, which provides a significant increase in footprint size when compared to a standard 55 gal. tank. :wink:

BV

·
Registered
769 Posts
herny said:
o becsaue my 55 i have no i mite have to get ride of becasue i mite get a 125 or its a 175 can not remmber but i woukld use the 55 for the oscar and the bigger tank for like a http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=2 one of these guys they are my new favs
8) You'll probably end up w/ only 1 fish in that 125g if you choose to get that Nandopsis haitiensis . Tankmates will be very difficult. Why not sell 'Pop' on the 125g & get the oscar as well as a couple of other semi-agressive similar sized cichlids?? Just a thought. 'T'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.