Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to order my fish very soon. I finally found a place to order all the species I have wanted! I am ordering online by the way!
I have wanted to stock with juveniles!

STOCK LIST / size:
* white top hara/2"
* maingano/2"
* yellow labe/2"
* white tail acei/1.5"

Are all of these fish still consider juveniles?
How long with any of these species before they will start to want to breed and become MORE aggressive?!

This will be my first time stocking any type of cichlid! So I would like at least a little bit off time to enjoy them at there calm state! LOL!

Any knowledge of these species would be wonderfull! THANK YOU!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congratulations on choosing cichlids!
Good luck finding any cichlids that are calm! :lol:

Before any suggestions are made, what is the size of your tank?
Depending on how big it is will limit what species you can have.

Acei are less aggressive but get considerably big.
Labs are also less aggressive and very popular and make a nice addition! (beware of hybrids)
Maingano get territorial so the labs and acei would get beat up pretty fast.
White top hara are slightly aggressive but not psycho fish If you know what i mean lol
Again tank dimensions will limit what you can keep.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Those species are relatively calm especially lab and acei. Calm compared to other mbuna I should add. Yes they are juviniles and some even breed at 2 inches. However it will likely be until they're 3-4 inches when most fish start becoming sexually mature. Update us with pics when you can!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My tank is a 75 gallon. I have had other posts on here before asking people if these fish will work together. From all the info I have received it seems all is good to go for the species I have selected.
I was just kinda wondering if I was going to get these fish at 2" and have agression issues and breeding going on right away?!
I'm well aware of these fish's aggression. I'm just want to go by the rule of thumb of introduce all species at once as juveniles to reduce aggression. I'm just hoping at 2" when the hara and maingano only reach 4" they aren't past there more "mild" side, heading towards making babies non stop side as well. LOL.

I would just like to also watch them grow you know the enjoyment of that as well would be nice.
So do you think I'm still a couple of months away maybe from seeing any of what I have just described?

·
Registered
50 Posts
In a 75G tank there would be plenty of room for those.
They could start breeding at that size but its not very likely although i know people that have had them breed then.
As for aggression at that size you should be fine, I like to introduce all species at once in my tank...but thats just me. Once they get older with enough hiding places to claim as territory they should settle in.

That size tank will really help spread aggression and get a couple of synodontis multiplacantus to control the babies.

I would be the most cautious of the maingano mostly because they do not tolerate each other well so 2m to 5f.
Just keep an eye on the labs and be sure they arent getting picked on too much!
Pics when you get them please!

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
I would not be surprised if the labs and maingano start breeding as soon as they settle into the tank. You will likely have a little more time with the cynotilapia and even more time before acei breeding.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My experience so far (10 months) with similar setup in 75G:

Yellow Labs - spawned first at 1.5 - 2 inches. Somewhat tolerant of extra males, but best if there is just one.

Yellow Tail Acei - spawned second at 2 -2.5 inches. I had two males spawn within days of each other and the big male totally didn't care as long as the small male stayed on the far end of the tank with his female. Very tolerant.

Maingano - fairly peaceful until recently. I think I have 2 or 3 males and 3 or 4 females. They just started spawning at 2 -3 inches, and the extra males have become a problem. Plan to remove extra males for sure as the dom male will beat them up when they reach sexual maturity (or sooner).

Ok, so this is based on my reading other posts and watching my fish.

Good luck! :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts