Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have always had Malawi cichlids in the past but I am now setting up a standard 75 gallon Tanganyika community tank. Right now I have 5 Altolamprologus Compressiceps Mwela Orange that are still small. I am thinking of one of the following 2 combinations with them:

Cyprichromis leptosoma and Synodontis lucipinnis dwarf petricola as I am a big fan of catfish, too.

OR

Cyprichromis leptosoma and a sand dweller such as Xenotilapia flavipinnis

Which would you choose and how many fish of each would you get since I don't want to overstock? I have a 20 gallon long tank full of multies alone but I was afraid if I moved them in as part of the community with the compressiceps that the compressiceps would eat them or vice versa - the multies would take over the tank. Let me know what you think. Any suggestions that are not listed are welcome also - might give me some new ideas. I have the tank set up and will hopefully be ordering by the end of this week. Thanks.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
It is unlikely that the comps would eat the multi's even as adults. If you limit the number of shells, it is improbable that the multi's could take over.

As far as the cats, they'll attempt to eat any eggs/fry that the comps have, if breeding them is important to you, don't add the cats.

No issue with comps, leptosoma and flavs, nor with leptosoma, comps and multi's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I may just stick with the multies then. How many Cyprichromis leptosoma would you recommend adding to this tank (48" in length)? How many flavs if I decide to go with them?

Karen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could I add a lone goby to that setup with either the xenos or multies and the cyps and altos? Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
75 gal is popular today! I would also be curious to the school size for cyps, as that is one of the possibilities floating through my head today.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have about a dozen Cyp leptosoma Utinta in my 75. They are a small variety and the number seems to work in that size tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts