Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an Eheim 2217 Classic today. It will replace the Jebo 838 on my 90 gallon Mbuna tank. I hope it does a better job as I'm not happy at all with the Jebo. I'm also running an AC-110. What should I use for media in the Eheim?

·
Registered
181 Posts
My 2217 came complete with all the media. I've read a lot about other people customizing the combination of media. I'm running mine with a penguin 330 HOB.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I don't own Eheim but you can skip the carbon and/or ammonia remover if offered. On my canisters (Fluval and Marineland) I concentrate on bio media only, along with the coarse sponges that come with the filters for mechanical. I do throw some filter floss (pillow stuffing) on the top tray of one of my fluvals.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The 2217 comes will a full set of media but since its a canister you can pretty much fill it with whatever media you want. One thing I suggest though is get mesh bags to hold the media. Makes it much easier to clean.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jason_nj said:
The 2217 comes will a full set of media but since its a canister you can pretty much fill it with whatever media you want. One thing I suggest though is get mesh bags to hold the media. Makes it much easier to clean.
What mesh bags work best?

·
Banned
406 Posts
Im using F&S 12" x 15" mesh bags in both of my 2217s.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I came home to a large package at my door...YAY..I got my new Ehiem 2217 Classic. I just painted all the green tubing with black Krylon Fusion and now watching the paint dry..lol Looks like a breeze to set up.....Can't wait.

My question is: Should I seed this filter or not? I have an AC 110 running on the tank also that has been running about 2 months. The Eheim will replace my Jebo canister.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This filter is super quite and has some serious output. I'm impressed. I just wish the spraybar elbow was designed different.

·
Registered
406 Posts
dmpjr said:
This filter is super quite and has some serious output. I'm impressed. I just wish the spraybar elbow was designed different.
I agree. I almost think Eheim purposely makes it crappy so you'll spend another $20 to get this replacement. I have 3 2217 on different tanks, and I replaced one of the spray bars with these installation kits and they are so much better. I wish Eheim included these instead.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... catid=9606

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jason_nj said:
dmpjr said:
I agree. I almost think Eheim purposely makes it crappy so you'll spend another $20 to get this replacement. I have 3 2217 on different tanks, and I replaced one of the spray bars with these installation kits and they are so much better. I wish Eheim included these instead.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... catid=9606
Thanks, I am going to make one. 8)

·
Registered
877 Posts
in my 2217 (which i love) i put the bio rings into mesh bags and put that on top of pot scrubbers. the pot scrubbers are like 50 cents each and do an awesome job.

so... 10 or so pot scrubbers, then mesh bags of ceramic rings on top... thats it. I also run this with an ac110 and its a great combo.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HONDO said:
in my 2217 (which i love) i put the bio rings into mesh bags and put that on top of pot scrubbers. the pot scrubbers are like 50 cents each and do an awesome job.

so... 10 or so pot scrubbers, then mesh bags of ceramic rings on top... thats it. I also run this with an ac110 and its a great combo.
Thanks for the reply. I had tried the pot scrubbers in my Jebo, couldn't really get a tight fit and it seemed like too much water would flow past them. I went with the media that came with the Eheim for now. I will see how that goes.

·
Registered
877 Posts
cool, i understand.

to avoid that, i do 3 layers of scrubbers... kind of hard to explain, but put in 3, then on top of that 3 more, but kind of the opposite positioning, if that makes sense. then the third layer is the same as the first so to fill all the holes. clear as mud... sorry.

i have actually considered removing some to increase waterflow.

do what works best for you. just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
If you have the Ehiem media, I would go with it until there was a proven need to change. I find Ehiem has a very high reputation and is a company with long standing. I find it hard to believe that most of us would even think we know more about media than they do. After they spend years and thousands of dollars on research to improve their product, how could I think I actually knew more??

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After only 2 days running the new Eheim, my water is crystal clear. It has never been so clear.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MandyBlue said:
I just ordered mine from BigAls $134.99 shipped!
You are gonna love it... :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts