Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.

I'm a longtime fish keeper but have only ever kept planted tanks with various asian and south american species in them. I have a 40 breeder (36" L * 18" D * 14" T) which I assume is a good shape for small cichlids because of the 36x18 footprint.

I would like to set up a tank based around Orange Scribbles. I plan to use an inert substrate and inert rocks for the tank and will use a diy cichlid buffer (baking soda, sea salt and epsom salt). I am planning on keeping Orange Scribbles and Celebes Rainbows (as dither fish) in the tank but would like to keep some other tanganyikan fish in there too.

My questions:

1: Is there any biotope-correct dither fish that I can reasonably obtain and keep with Orange Scribbles in that tank?
2: Is 78F the right temperature to keep the tank at?
3: What are some good options for cichlid tankmates for the Orange Scribbles?
4: How well would Apple snails fare in the tank? Is there another species of snail (besides MTS) which would reproduce in the tank and not get eaten by cichlids?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
You won't keep anything alive, including the rainbows, once the orange scribbles start spawning. 78F is a decent temperature. What is your water parameters, that you believe you need to add a buffer to the tank?

Apple snails would likely get killed, as would most snails.

This isn't a friendly species.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fogelhund said:
You won't keep anything alive, including the rainbows, once the orange scribbles start spawning. 78F is a decent temperature. What is your water parameters, that you believe you need to add a buffer to the tank?

Apple snails would likely get killed, as would most snails.

This isn't a friendly species.
Out of the tap my water has <1 dGH and <2dKH. I suppose I should be keeping Discus but those little Tanganyikan cichlids are fascinating and are well worth keeping in a species tank. What is the "perfect" temperature for the Orange Scribbles?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'd have to agree.
My pair.. i didt dare to put anything with them once they were spawning :lol: they also dont seem to tolerate their fry very well. Once theyre ready for a new spawn, they seem to eat the fry

my pair

1 - 4 of 4 Posts