Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my brother has offered to give me a trio of breeding convicts 1 m 2 f. This male is the largest one I've seen. Its easily 6-7 inches and very bulky and very long fins. They have spawned white convicts as well as black. Just wondering what you guys think. I have an extra 50g bowfront empty. Or put them in my 90 African tank. But I've been leaning towards their own tank if I were to do this. I know breeding convicts arnt hard to come by but just wondering what others feel that have them? I wouldn't care about making money just hobby.

·
Registered
116 Posts
First, I would say the 50 by themselves if possible, don't want to risk them getting territorial and doing damage to one of your africans. The biggest problem you are going to have is getting rid of convict fry, if you have a few local places that will take them that is great but you will have to raise them to an acceptable size and the parents usually don't like them hanging around that long after they have spawned again which can be within a few weeks. Add to that fact that you will be making no money while constantly trying to find homes for them. This may all sound negative but breeding cons is a thankless job, it is really cool to watch them as parents for the first 10 spawns but the next 500 or so get to be tedious.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Their the typical barred but have also bred white ones so even though they look black they have some mix in them I would assume. I live in a city so getting rid of them shouldn't be too hard. I'm going to think about it but I really like that male. I've never bred any fish before so could be interesting. Or maybe I can try breeding something less common

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Me too! Mine are on their 4th spawn, skittish lately though... hmm

·
Registered
705 Posts
u can always sell the smaller convicts off as a healthy alternative to goldfish feeders.. they r like rabbits and i know only go for like 1$ or less in most areas lol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
good luck trying to sell them at all, there are quite a few places that won't even take them for free...

·
Registered
705 Posts
im suggesting selling them for fish food. big ole guys love to eat live stuff. since u cant sell em or give em away fast enuff maybe u can get "something" outta the deal :p.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts