Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add some more activity to my tank, which homes a JD and GT. My question is would 5 giant danios be too many in a 55 gallon with the other two cichlids?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And by tolerate, I am assuming you mean not kill them? If they are surface swimmers, wouldn't that mean a possible tragedy at feeding time? My JD is a very aggressive feeder and hit all his food very hard.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Then I guess what you might have to do is go get your giant danios but inform the store that you might be bringing them back. Do this on a day where you will have time to observe from a distance. I say from a distance because the fish tend to act a bit more "natural" when they think no one is watching! LOL

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you much fishguy, is there a better option then for dithers? My two fish are not all that big yet. The jack is the biggest at roughly three and a quarter inches.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i have had 5 giant danios in with my 2 oscars now for 7 months, all is good.

Yes the oscar do "ocassionaly" chase and seperate one but its reacts much faster than the oscars and return to the group, i like them because i dont have to feed them, they just take what the oscars chew up in their months. They are really active fish, and very quick, i wouldnt count them out. Best choice for dithers for me!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I am thank you, so far its peaceful. My JD just shows the GT who is boss when he needs to. I know the JD is male for sure. Not sure on the GT

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So giant danios worked like a charm, both my fish are out and active now. When they first went in both of my fish tried to catch them and didn't stand a chance. At petsmart, it says they are semi aggressive fish (the danios) is this only towards each other? Or will they go after my cichlids while they are resting?
Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
sirnewb said:
So giant danios worked like a charm, both my fish are out and active now. When they first went in both of my fish tried to catch them and didn't stand a chance. At petsmart, it says they are semi aggressive fish (the danios) is this only towards each other? Or will they go after my cichlids while they are resting?
Thanks
I dont belive they are semi aggresive at all! I cant for the life of my think why they would go for your cichlids unless they feel stupid :lol:, Agression between themself, possible when spawning but hard to tell as they move so quick but no nipped fins or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi sirnewb,

I would make sure your tank lid covers most if not all of your tank. Second night in my tank with medium sized CA/SA cichlids 3 giant danios jumped ship.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mlancaster said:
Hi sirnewb,

I would make sure your tank lid covers most if not all of your tank. Second night in my tank with medium sized CA/SA cichlids 3 giant danios jumped ship.

Thanks,
Matt[/quote

Its sealed up completely, but I woke up with 4 danios instead of 5 this morning. I looked on the floor and all around my tank, its not there anywhere. So I'm assuming he got eaten? But there are no remains of the fish in my tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.