Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished set up on a new 75. I'm thinking of putting my group of yellow labs (5) and my group of rustys (4). I'd like third species, preferably a blue cichlid. I have a group of juvie Demasoni (10) but my issue is their aggression. Has anyone kept a combo like this? non mbunas would consist of a trio of synos and a pair of smaller plecos. Im also considering a couple of my young alto comps (2-3) for a little shape. I know theyll eat the fry but that's not my biggest concern. My questions are the altos and the demasoni. will they work, or should I avoid mixing them?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
I would avoid mixing the altos with Malawi of any kind for an ideal set up, but especially any mbuna. They like calm tankmates and won't compete well with the mbuna for food.

If I HAD to mix an alto with Malawi, it would be peacocks. But even that mix I was advised to avoid if I wanted the altos to thrive.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured as much. That was a concern of mine. Altos will stay in a species only tank. The mbuna species sound good together though?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
The mbuna combination is good, but I have not had success with less than 12 Demasoni...I tried 9 and it did not come out well.

·
Registered
466 Posts
In my opinion, you could keep another mbuna species too, so a total of 4 species in a 75, 1m 4f labs 1m 4f rusties then 12-15 demasoni and another species of mbuna.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts