Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm new to tropheus but i was wondering if it'd be advisable to have a male only tank or would it be a blood bath just researching before i take the plunge

·
Registered
639 Posts
Males and females look nearly identical so it really would make no difference as far as appearance goes. The most dominant fish will show the best color.

Are you thinking of one male from many different variants ( like an all male hap/peacock) or a colony of 20 males of the same variant? Honestly I don't think either scenario would work well. Tropheus are very territorial and hierarchical. I've never heard of anyone doing it either. Not to mention purchasing all males whether the same or different variants would be a pain. Most are sold as groups either as unsexed juvies or proven adults with a desirable ratio.

I think if you want to get the most fulfillment out of your trophs you should get a colony with a m/f ratio of 1:6 or so. When properly cared for they will bless you with many spawns.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I kept a colony of 12 sp red tropheus. I vented them and it turns out there were 11 males. The 2 most dom males beat the snot out of everyone else. Most of the fish were kept in one small spot at the top of the tank between the two dom males' territories. I do not advise an all male tropheus group.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so keeping all males is a horrid idea i was also thinking about adding some protomelas sp. steveni Taiwans to the mix would this be a bad idea as well?

·
Registered
639 Posts
cichlids rock said:
ok so keeping all males is a horrid idea i was also thinking about adding some protomelas sp. steveni Taiwans to the mix would this be a bad idea as well?
Yes. If you are really thinking trophs get the idea of an all male tank out of your head... Think colony of trophs males, females, spawning, fry etc... If you are going to throw a single troph in an all male hap/peacock setup that would work. I have one in a lab tank right now (he was rejected from the troph tank) and he is fine, he does not bother the labs and vice versa.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok the idea is out of my head i was thinking of getting a colony of trophs but putting a few others in the tank would this be advisable?

·
Registered
639 Posts
LOL! You just don't give up... You can do a couple different colonies like an sp. black and a brichardi or something like that... Get two colonies that have completely different coloration to try to avoid crossbreeding.

My recommendation is that you start with the variant you would like to keep the most, that alone will be very rewarding. Once you get a feel for trophs then you can start experimenting with the different variants.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok im really interested in the firecrackers do you have a suggestion as what to mix in with them something of color maybe some kaisers or would that not work?

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you really want moorii moliro (firecracker) trophs, then stay away from any of the other moorii or sp. reds as the possibility of hybridizing will be greater. You could go with an sp. black like bemba (red flame), kaiser ikola, or bulu point (cherry spot) or kiriza. Or you could combine them with T. brichardi variants ulwile, or ujiji etc...

·
Registered
639 Posts
eeztropheus said:
If you really want moorii moliro (firecracker) trophs, then stay away from any of the other moorii or sp. reds as the possibility of hybridizing will be greater. You could go with an sp. black like bemba (red flame), kaiser ikola, or bulu point (cherry spot) or kiriza. Or you could combine them with T. brichardi variants ulwile, or ujiji etc...
To noddy's point, what size tank are you planning on? For two groups of trophs I would suggest nothing less than a 5' 100g, 6' 125g even better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so it sounds like i better stick with one group then the only ill have available for it will be a 4' 55gallon tank unless i empty out my 4' 120 mnuba tank but not sure if im ready to do that yet.kind of like the colors in that tank and they seem to reproduce like rabbits in there...lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts