Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question in a different forum but thought I might get some good suggestions here as well.

We are conducting behavioral experiments in my lab in which we want females to be able to see males but not vice versa. Have any of you done anything like this with your tanks? I am curious as to whether the mirrors should be kept in the tank as a divider, or between tanks.

Thoughts and suggestions very welcome!

Scott

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just did this to the entire back of my tank (on the outside). I dont think id put the tint into the tank there is adihsive on the tink and it could leech in. Mine works great hiding the cords and things behind the tank. Very mirrored looking from the front. I got it at a home improvement store for 28.00 us.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I haven't used one way mirrors with fish, but I have played with the stuff. You need to light the "mirror" side more than the "window" side in order for them to work, which may alter your experiments. I can't say how the refractive index of water vs air will affect them, but I suspect placement of the lights may be key. Good luck!

·
Registered
970 Posts
What if you use the tint on the glass and then use another piece of glass to keep the tint safe, then seal the rig with silicone and that should make it completely safe, then use a light on the side of the tank where the males are but no light on the side where the females are. The tint will prevent the males from looking into the side with no light while the females will have complete vision of the males in the light. :thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
The male may see itself in the mirror and chase it all day.

Try keeping the males tank brighter than the females tank. Especially the side closest to the females tank, with out any light crossing over to her tank.

·
Registered
970 Posts
fish said:
The male may see itself in the mirror and chase it all day.

Try keeping the males tank brighter than the females tank. Especially the side closest to the females tank, with out any light crossing over to her tank.
I beg to differ, the darker the male side is the better... cant see himself if he doesn't have light.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
But then the 1-way mirror doesn't work. How about high tech - camera and monitor. Give the girls a spycam of the guys, give the guys a video of an empty tank! I don't know if a monitor would fool them though, my dogs aren't interested in dogs on tv, unless they bark.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I used to build luxury motor coaches, and we put lcd monitors behind 1-way mirrors to replace the bathroom mirrors - no need to pause the show while you're on the pot! The caveat is you have to run the monitor super bright, and only dim light around the edge of the mirror, nowhere else in the bathroom. Turn bright lights on in the bathroom, and the monitor off, and you have a mirror again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have any of you done anything like this with your tanks? NO

You didn't state what exactly your question is about the mirror. So I'll respond with rambling rubish.

If the test is to examine/evalate sight reaction only then... the two bodies of water need to be completely separated. Either silicone in the mirror as a divider or place between the glass.

If you want the males to smell the females but not see them well... I think you get the idea.

Is the mirror safe for aquarium fish? Yes, but this is relative to the way the mirror was/is manufactured.

If you said this is the mirror I intend to use and asked us is it safe then we could answer...

Suggestion call the company that makes the mirror you want to use & ask them what chemicals the use in the production process.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts