Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night as I was feeding all my tanks, I walked up to the tank I have my 2 Hap Moorrii's in and was lucky enough to watch them circling each other and the female (well I know she is a female now, didn't before) dropping her eggs. The thing that was weird was the other Moorii didn't look like it was fertilizing the eggs, rather the other Moorii was picking them up before the female could turn around and pick them up herself. They kept doing there circle dance and the female kept dropping eggs until she was done, but I don't think she picked up a single egg.
Do the males just eat the eggs sometimes?
Is is possible that the other Moorii is also a female and was just picking them up as well?

any help would be appreciated, I really wanted to bread these Mooriis.
thanks
Scott

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It may have been two females, or the male may have eaten the eggs. It's impossible to say for sure.

I've had two females go through what appeared to be an entire spawn in the past. No viable fry, or course...Anything is possible...

Kim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Kim.
couple more questions:
these Moorrii's arn't more then a yeah and a half old. I have read that they take a good couple of years before they are ready to spawn. Do you think its possible that they just don't know how yet?
also I have heard different things about sexing Moorrii's. Some say that the bigger the bulge on their heads means its a male, others say that has nothing to do with it. The female in my tank (the one that actually dropped the eggs) has significantly less of a bulge then the other. I really don't like taking them out to sex them and these Moorrii's can be spooked very easy. Have you heard anything about sexing them?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I don't have alot of experience with them, but it has always been my understanding that males have a larger hump head...(for lack of a better phrase... :D )

Yes, it is possible that they are just inexperienced, and will get it right after a few tries.

Kim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts