Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 100g mbuna tank with:
7 very young Labidochromis caeruleus - can't tell the sex yet.
and
7 Male Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"

I'd like to add Metriaclima sp. "dolphin" (Ndonga) - thinking 1 Male and 3 Females, or if that is not possible Pseudotropheus crabro - about 7 with 2 male and 5 females.

Any concerns, or better choices?

I'd really like the size and colors of the "dolphins".

Thanks

·
Registered
554 Posts
crabro is an evil fish, close to or the same as auratus in evilness.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
"hornet" is more appropriate than "bumblebee". My male turned dingy dark brown/black and terrorized everyone. Fishkeeping mistake #73.

·
Registered
554 Posts
basically, go with the dolphins :thumb: They're big and peaceful, and should live happily with acei and labs :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you want crabro, aim for 8-9 females per single male--even then. . .who knows. What's the footprint of your tank? I wouldn't suggest Dolphins in less than 5ft tank. They're peaceful, but big and like to jump (as I've heard).

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
The problem with Crabro is that they for some reason get really huge in captivity and usually lose their attractiveness, sometimes getting literally ugly dull drab brown. Now maybe keeping them in a large group would be better, but then you wouldn't want to do that in your tank.
Reasons not to keep Crabro
#1 lose their colorful juvenile looks, sometimes get really ugly
#2 grow really big and fat
#3 tough fish that will ruin the color of the other fish

Now "Dolphin Mbuna" would be okay. Even thou people tend to say they are monomorphic they are not always that colorful, at least when younger. Laid back, almost lazy for a Mbuna. Best in a group.

Personally, unless you obsessed with the idea of a "all colourful" tank, I would get a group of Cynotilapia with mulitple males and females. Very active fish without being much trouble, stay small,and it is fun to watch the males change colors and fire up their male zebra bars. The colors would contrast well with the other fish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, my wife wanted the Crabo but I'd heard of the aggressiveness and one reason I'd held off.

My tank is a 48" so I think it's best to go with the Cynotilapia.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts