Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys -

I have a fish, that is for a couple of days started not eating is much and not as active as he was before. Upon looking at him carefully, I noticed one of his gill is bigger(swollen) compared to the other one. The gill that is swollen, you can notice it opens and closes rapidly compared to his other gill.

Also, his poop is regular brown, he eats but not as much as before and he is not as active as before.

Could it be gill fluke? What kind of medication is good. I will remove him from my display tank and keep him in my 29-gallon tank.

I have the following medication on hand:
Fungus Clear
Maracyn and Maracyn Two
Metrozondale

Which one should I use and will any of them has any negative effect on the good bacteria?

Thx for any suggestions ...

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Unfortunately none of the meds you have on hand are recommended for Gill Flukes. For gill flukes you want: Fluke tabs, Paraform, Quick Cure, Clout or Jungle Parasite Guard.

How are the rest of your fish? Gill Flukes are contagious so you may want to treat the main tank also. At the very least do a few extra partial water changes on the main tank. (30% daily for several days)

It might be gill flukes but there are a number of things that can cause inflamation around/in the gills.

Robin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts