Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my tank which is a 55gallon, I have 2 demasoni's (one about 3.5 inches and other is only like 1.5 inches), 1 Auratus, 2 red peacocks, 2 venestus's, a bumble bee, a johanni, 3 catfish, 2 Green spotted puffers and a pleco. My question is that the auratus seems to be picking on the bigger demasoni every time he comes out of the corner plants but yet doesnt seem to bother any of the other fish in the tank. Only have been noticing this going on for about 2 days now, but want to make sure this isnt gonna stress out and end up killing him since this is my little girls fish which she runs over to see and say "hi fishy" every time she gets here. This is my first cichlid tank so any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: I have also notice that this single auratus is almost builiding a nest in the sand behind a leaning peice of slate in the corner, by digging a hole in the sand. It is taking mouthfuls of sand and spitting them out over a little making a bowl or dish shape hole in the corner. Would this have something to do with the sudden strange behavior?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is most likely in "mating" mode and you will see increased aggression from this period. Not sure why it is singling out the larger demasoni though.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
want to make sure this isnt gonna stress out and end up killing him since this is my little girls fish which she runs over to see and say "hi fishy" every time she gets here.
I would be worried about the same thing. Is the Demasoni lurking under the surface or hiding behind filter intakes or heaters? Any nips or scales missing?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what i was thinking too, after I was looking closer the anal area of the fish looks swollen. How long do you think this will last? Is this something that I should be concerned about or do you think the demasoni will be ok?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
To put it lightly, your tank will NOT be suitable for the following fish, in the long run:

Auratus, common plecos, venestus, bumblebees. And the puffers won't work with mbuna, in the long run.

I'd suggest reading up a bit on the library here and returning the fish I listed to avoid a bloodbath. Also, you want either 1 demasoni or 12+.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The demasoni is just kinda hiding in some taller plants that i have in the opposite corner of the tank from the auratus's little creation. He shows no signs of missing scales, nipped fins or anything like that. He is just getting chased around for little while ever so often.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even over that last couple hours the auratus is getting more and more aggressive, chasing any fish that he can get too. Do you guys think it would beneficial for me to remove asap to help prevent any deaths. I had recieved some of these fish from a neighbor who was moving and couldnt house then any longer and my plans are to thin out some of these problematic ones anyhow and continue to build on more compatible species? My only problem is that I do not have another tank setup for him to go into so my only other option would be to euthanize him. unless I could put some of the water from this tank into a 10 gal i have out in garage.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Is the Demasoni eating? He could already be sick. The hiding behavior you describe means he is already stressed.

You could take the auratus directly to your local fish store (call and ask first).

And then if the LFS will take the auratus, grab a filter and heater for the 10G and set up a hospital tank for the Demasoni. Use some filter media or substrate from the main tank to provide beneficial bacteria.

Thinning out might have a 24 hour deadline with that mix of fish. :(

If your daughter is attached to the demasoni, they would be appropriate for the tank but for me it helps spread demasoni aggression if you stock 12 or more of them.

I'd get rid of the others as well. The LFS might be more willing to take some of the others than the auratus. :thumb: If it is a really good LFS they might give you 1/3 the selling price in store credit for the fish.

You could also do a peacock tank in a 55G. But don't mix peacocks with demasoni.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts