Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Every week Petsmart gets a new shipment of fish and most of the time they get 1 4-5in Peacock that have the two tone color yellow & blue (I believe Aulonocara baenschi) and the first one I bought was kinda aggressive but wasn't bothering the other small Cichlids to much. This week shipment came in and I bought another one (orange & blue), the first one (yellow & blue) started to attack the orange one(he is calm) after an hr of monitoring the tank, I had to take out the yellow one and put it in another tank. My question is how do I calm down the Peacocks one at a time so they aren't attacking each other? I can't afford to overstock my tank and Petsmart only gets one two tone Peacock a week? I lowered my temp, that didn't work.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Adding one fish at a time rarely works, normally groups of 4 or more have to be added. Throwing a single fish into an established tank draw everyone's attention to the new guy. You can try completely rearranging the decorations each time, if you have alot of rock work. Even that may not work though.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Absolutely true, pretty likely to be a death sentence. Also the yellow/blue and orange/blue may be related and don't' look different enough to be compatible.

Successfully changing the natural behavior of the fish is rare...better to accommodate them. Save up until you can afford 4-5 fish at once.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for y'alls help! I will just get 4 to 5 fishes at a time. I am still getting used to having Cichlids.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts