Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for my little Pleco this morning and a little tiny fish catches my eye, hidden between some rocks. It's tiny, like a little bigger than the biggest piece of pfs. I then searched the rest of the tank and could not find anymore. So I sent a video to my gf and she wants me to try and save him from being eaten. This is the first baby since establishing my tank in march. It's a 48" 55g tank with a lot of rocks and 15 fish. I hadn't noticed anyone holding but a few days ago I did find a cobalt blue dead out of nowhere.

I can't possibly catch this little piece of "sand" and create a fry tank without taking out all the rocks. So what are the chances of this little guys survival? Anything I can do to help it?

I need to be more away of this as I want to be able to raise some fry in the future simply to give away.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
It may not be worth the trouble to try and save a lone fry. You could try to siphon it out into a bucket.

To be prepared for the next time...
Buy a sponge filter and either run it in your main tank, or cram it into your existing filtration. Within a few weeks the sponge will be seeded with beneficial bacteria. Keep a very close eye on your fish. Use the search option on this forum and become familiar with what a mouthbrooding fish looks like. At feedings, females who are carrying eggs will typically hang back and not eat. They may show interest in eating, but will very rarely take food while holding.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Also try to have 1m:4f of each species (at least) to minimize chances of cross breeding if you might give fry away.

The baby also might survive if you make a small pile of baby sized rocks the adults cannot enter.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no clue what is m/f. The baby is still alive, stays under his rock. It looks like he's eating whatever is around without venturing from that spot. But look at the pic, he's so tiny.

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iggy Newcastle said:
It may not be worth the trouble to try and save a lone fry. You could try to siphon it out into a bucket.

To be prepared for the next time...
Buy a sponge filter and either run it in your main tank, or cram it into your existing filtration. Within a few weeks the sponge will be seeded with beneficial bacteria. Keep a very close eye on your fish. Use the search option on this forum and become familiar with what a mouthbrooding fish looks like. At feedings, females who are carrying eggs will typically hang back and not eat. They may show interest in eating, but will very rarely take food while holding.
I run two canisters with a ton of media in them. I figured i would just remove some of the media from one to put into another tank when I do set it up. Isn't that the same as a sponge?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have had babies 3 times without trying. 30 gal tank with 8 adults. First time, we came home after a 2-week trip and there were 2 very tiny babies. One survived and is a beautiful male hybrid; father is Pseudotropheus Socolofi (Powder Blue cichlid); mother is Labidochromis Caeruleus (Electric yellow). Mother died afterwards. But the father has produced 2 more families? (don't know what you call a group of fry) with 2 different females. One of the other females also died after birthing. Now we have 7 adults, 2 "teen-agers" and 3 more fry. So fun to see the fry suddenly appear and then watch them grow or not. They seem to be very capable of hiding from bigger fish, taking care of themselves, and grabbing the flakes as they fall during feeding time. We are feeding Tetra Cichlid Flakes with an auto feeder twice a day. Now our concern is if all 5 fry survive, will we need a bigger tank. Don't want a bigger tank so....

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Don't forget the fish are likely spitting 20 (more or less) babies each time so most are not making it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had an unexpected death from what I thought was the tank boss, I even named him Jack. Considering the sudden loss, maybe I was all wrong and she was the mom and died after birth?

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Moms don't die after birth generally so look for another issue in your tank.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I was looking for the little guy in the picture above, he's not so little anymore. While searching i found another baby just about the size in the above photo. In the video you see the new one at the beginning and at the end the "old" baby from the photo above. I have been trying to keep a close eye out for anyone holding. This has to be a separate one....right?

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
It should be easy to ID a holding mom on day one...she is the fish that does not eat for the first time that day. Observe each fish eat every time you feed them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DJRansome said:
It should be easy to ID a holding mom on day one...she is the fish that does not eat for the first time that day. Observe each fish eat every time you feed them.
Not everyone eats all the time at the same time. The little pellets sometimes fall into where they are hiding. But given the size difference of these two, are they from two different "litters?" I don't know what they are called.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't tell what the new one are, they all look like rusties at this point. But, I found another brand new one like in the video this morning. So now I have 2 just born and one a few weeks ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts