Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK--I'm looking for advice, and if these two can coexist (only set-ups that have been maintained with success for 2 yrs+). Thanks in advance!

I currently have a female GT--3.5-4" in my 55g (4ft tank). In with the GT right now, one male convict (he's disc-shaped, haha, but about 3"), 3 pictus cats, 1 BN pleco, and 4 tiger barbs (pictus have slowly picked them off--I need to get the school back up to 9).

I just got a Jack--1.5". Judging by the fins, my guess is that the Jack is male, but I won't be sure till it starts growing. Currently, he's in a 20L--MUCH too small, I know, but he came with ich, so had to deal with that. In the 20, one platy (that he bosses around, I'll probably have to remove it soon if the Jack stays longer term), 9 pristella tetras, and 4 julie cories (just to keep my hosp tank cycled).

My questions:

What are the chances of the two of them mating/crossing (i.e. a negative here)?

<- I should mention my GT shakes for the con... He isn't interested, so even though she makes a pit, all she gets is nips (and pieces of tale missing :lol: Con's too protective of his territory)

Should I wait for my Jack to grow to matching size before introducing him?

What's a good size grow-out tank? How long can he stay in the 20?

Of the two, which species is more aggressive?

<- If the Jack is male, obviously I can expect more aggression due to that, but in general which will cause me more trouble?

And (sorry they're so many), can my 55g hold both?

CO) and don't want to get another tank to move (I already have 8). Obviously, I would move the Con out of the 55 if I were to put the Jack and GT together, but everything else would stay.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one :-?

If there are existing threads you can direct me to that answer these questions...please suggest :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a good friend who had a female JD and a male GT in a 125. The JD tore the GT up. he lived, he is a 75 now but she ripped him all up. The GT would try and fight her off, or run but the way their mouths are shaped made it easy for her to get his fins. So in my opinion no way.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Diesel: how long were the JD and GT together? How big, approx?

@Riceburner: how long has your GT been with the Jacks, and how big are they? What size tank? Any answers to my questions?

·
Registered
62 Posts
They were put in together at adult size. They were only together for like two days and then he was missing so much fin that they took him out. I do know someone who raised them from juvies and they do fine.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK--well the JD is a juvie now (1.5") and I've had the GT for about eight months raised from a juvie 1" now 3.5-4" inches. The GT is used to having a split tank though (shares with the male convict). Her territory covers the left corner and top level. The con takes the right and scavenges the bottom.

The JD killed the platy it was with--should've known better, but the only peaceful fish I have are goldfish, which keeps quite cold in early spring at 64-66 degrees F (though it's warming up now, the tank tops around about 70-72 in summer). I went away for the weekend so he was without food for two days. I fear, if I do that again, the cories will be next.

If I put the JD in now, I think it'll get torn up. I'll wait till he's half size (2-2.5") and try them together. I'm moving to CO in August, so I won't try it till after that, but I wonder if the JD and GT could be in the same bucket for travel (~8-10g tub)? Or would the JD be better off with convicts, the smaller ones from another tank (1.5 f and 2" m mated pair)?

When I make it to CO, I'll get a second 55g as a back up.
What can survive with JD's as far as dither fish?

·
Registered
977 Posts
My JDs were mostly adults when the 3" GT was added a couple of years ago. There were some juvie JDs as well as some Cons, so the GT wasn't the smallest, close though. They are in a 90.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I keep a GT with two JD's and a Jag in a 100. They all co-exist.. the GT(female) and the Jag(male) are the only ones that ever fight. The GT just doesn't take **** from any of them.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've kept the GT and JD combo on several occasions, over the years. In fact, I have the combo in 2 of my 3 current tanks.

Tank # 1 = 125g with RD, Green Texas, Salvini, JD, Green Terror.
Tank # 2= 75g with GT, JD, convict, FM.

I've never had a GT try to breed with any CA cichlid....they probably could, I've never had it happen though. And I always keep opposite sex JD/GT. Two females of each do tend to squabble. And two males usually battle quite a bit more than that.

The GT's tend to be more aggressive than JD's, but nothing like some other common CA cichlids such as Red Devils, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'll chime in, but it seems the question has been answered.

I had a 40 breeder that I bought 2 JDs and a Green Terror at the same time and added them in together. They all 3 grew to 5+ inches in less than a year and got along so well it was crazy.

They coloring on each of them was good, their activity was awesome, and the Green Terror was so healthy it was as tall as it was long.

Those will be the first 3 fish I buy for my 125, 2 JDs and a Green Terror as juvis and let them grow together.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i have an adult male gt (10") and a bonded pair of jds, 11" male and 8" female, in my 125 with no probs. they have been together for 5 years. they were juvies and grew together

1 - 12 of 12 Posts