Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 100G (5'5" long) tank with a mix of tangs and utakas (and a few mbuna from my brothers broken tank :x ), I have 2 pumps connected to the intank filters (like canisters, 5 stages:from top to bottom perlon->siporax->siporax->siporax->perlon/carbon) both pumps are 550g/h and a Koralia circulation pump (650g/h). All pumps are pointed upwards to disturb the surface for oxygenation. Sometimes I wonder if this is not too much water flow. As an experience I just turned off the Koralia pump for 3 days and the fish seemed ok, just a little calmer, specially the 3 frontosa I have there. Should I keep it off or turn it back on?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well I have a 75g with mostly all Mbuna's and have 2 canisters, one at like 260gph the other at 340gph and a koralia 750gph on one side and a Maxi jet 1200 (235gph) on the other. My fish seem to be really happy and can always find a spot out of the current if they want too. Even with this setup I am thinking about trading up the the maxi jet for another koralia, prob the 1050gph one. Wanna try and keep the poop up in the water column til the filters can take care of it.

I guess Im lazy like that. :wink: Then I just have to drain out and refill for water changes and only vac the sand every month or so.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Watching and knowing your fish will tell you much more than we can . If the fish look more comfortable, I would leave it off for now. There seems to be quite a rush to put as much filtering as possible on tanks but that just doesn't fit what I see in nature. Some fish are better left in slow moving water which is more natural. Many times it is a balance between what we want to look at and what the fish want. I watch my fish and go with making them happy.

Happy fish = happy fishkeepers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts