Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use liquid tests for my salt water which also have color cards for fresh water. It doesn't test for KH and GH though. So I went to PetSmart to get the tests and they only had the dip strips. It was API 5 in 1.

How accurate are these and what should my KH and GH be?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Most people recommend the API master kit with liquid drops and test tubes. The 5 n 1 are ok from what i hear. I dont worry about the KH and GH much at all. Really PH and your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are the most important things.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:? I don't get it, the more I read the more confused I get. :oops: I read the article in the library (well I tried to) on KH and GH and it hurt my brain.

Some people have their KH listed as 13, 25 and some at 180, 300. It's the same with GH. I just don't get it.

How can they be so different?

I used the dip strip to test and my GH was 60, my KH was 180 and I don't know if this is good or bad. :( I can't figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
The readings can be presented two ways.
1-Number of drops or dKH = 7 is the same as
2-125.3 ppm (parts per million)

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
There are different units of measurement for hardness.
DH (Deutsch hardness) and PPM (Parts Per Million) as well as a Clark scale, (rarely used).
1 DH = 17.9 ppm
Normal GH ranges can be between 9-18 DH (160-320ppm).
Normal KH ranges can be between 10-14 DH (180-220ppm).
So...your water hardness is somewhat low, KH is fine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you BOTH!!

I get in now. I don't know how I missed that. I guess between the PH, KH, GH I was getting all confused. It is making sence now.

So GH is low, I will go back and look at the salt article. I think it's epsom salt I need to add.

Thank you sooooo much. :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts