Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any dwarves that don't live in the leaf litter or stringy roots?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darkside said:
Of course there are. Why do you ask?
I like some of the fish, but think the leaf litter and stringy roots look messy. I don't want to put a fish in an unnatural habitat, and I can't find any on the profiles list that don't either live in leaf litter or the stringy root.

I like the sand with rocks and a few plants for decoration. I'm having a hard time to find the right fish for my tank :(

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I've had blue rams, Bolivian rams, curviceps and apistos in a planted tank with a variety of plants -- anubias, java fern, swords, crypts, vals etc., along with rocks and driftwood. They love it.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
dielikemoviestars
I was thinking the same thing... even zoos try to "replicate" a natural habitat in function, not looks... I've seen ropes, towels, tires, etc.

I use terra cotta pots for many of my dwarf cichlids... nothing natural about those, but they can be life savers for a female not ready to breed :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
...Isn't a tank an unnatural habitat? :D

Completely joking
Your funny! :wink:

I tried plants in the aquarium before and never did very well. (of course I was 15 :roll: ) but I don't want to take the chance of starting with 2 new things in the tank. Being new to cichlids, and new to a planted tank.

·
Registered
697 Posts
So no leaf litter/ root tangle, no plants.... Those are really the two ideal setups for SA dwarfs. What setup are you wanting to do?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
The fish really don't care how you aquascape your aquarium as long as you provide some hiding spaces for them. Go with a setup that's rocks and sand and your fish will be happy if you give them caves and make them feel comfortable. You can even give them one of those awful neon coloured skulls. :lol:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Darkside said:
The fish really don't care how you aquascape your aquarium as long as you provide some hiding spaces for them. Go with a setup that's rocks and sand and your fish will be happy if you give them caves and make them feel comfortable. You can even give them one of those awful neon coloured skulls. :lol:
Agreed, but I thought the objective was to not put them in an unnatural environment. I guess with the amount of trash that ends up in rivers anymore maybe they would feel right at home with some plastic grocery bags, water bottles and a tire. :lol:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know you're looking for info on South American dwarves but maybe you should also look into some of the Lake Tanganyika Shell Dwellers who might do better with sand/rocks + shells if you don't want plants or leaf litter. Just something else to consider.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
andrew__ said:
I know you're looking for info on South American dwarves but maybe you should also look into some of the Lake Tanganyika Shell Dwellers who might do better with sand/rocks + shells if you don't want plants or leaf litter. Just something else to consider.
Thanks,
I decided to do a species tank of pseudotropheus saulois.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nice pick, really nice fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts