Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my sand and rocks in to see how everything looked and play with the rock formation. I wasn't going to use the egg crate because I chose to go with the cichlid stones which are hollow and light, but I've changed my mind. Tonight I am going to get the egg crate. So I will pull everything out tonight and put the egg crate down, then the rocks, then the sand.

BUT, I want it to look the way I have it now. That's why I need help. Someone already suggested I put other rocks under the rocks I don't want to cover with the sand, which I 'm going to do. But I was wondering if there was any kind of putty, or sticky stuff that could hold the rocks in place. I don't want to GLUE them because I'm sure I will have to move things around at some point.

Here's a few pics:
See the little rocks on top, I don't want them to fall off:

Again, a little rock on top:

I have a rock leaning against another, If I could stick it to the other rocks with something?

Full tank shot:

Any ideas on how to keep the rocks stuck together, or is this a loosing battle with cichlids?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Assuming the tank is dry, some silicone will stick the rocks together. Let it cure several days before filling the tank.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Are all the grey rocks cichlid stones? I plan to get some for my 55, I want the 15 pack they come in. Wow those are big. I love the layout you chose.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would suggest waiting a bit before you do fasten them if you wish. I think for many cichlids they will not like they hiding spots this provides and you may find you want to move them. For African cichlids I find they like to feel totally hidden rather than just under something. When we look at your rocks we can see all the way from front to back. That will not leave the fish feeling safe, I'm afraid. I think of it as if it were me wanting to hide. I would feel much safer in a maze of hallways rather than hiding in one long straight hallway. See what I mean? Think it over, your decision, though. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
rmiller said:
Are all the grey rocks cichlid stones? I plan to get some for my 55, I want the 15 pack they come in. Wow those are big. I love the layout you chose.
Those do look like all cichlid stones, I have gotten the same 15 pack myself and love them so far. Was worried about them being too small, but even my full grown dems use them daily.

As far was being concerned about them looking the same as it is now, I was the same way. Your gonna want them separate because they make great traps to catch fish when you need it. Also when your cleaning you will have to remove them and replace them and after doing it a few times you will know right where to put them.

You could also start on one end and remove them one by one, marking the bottom with something, numbering them something like 1B for first one on bottom, and 2T for the next one that goes on top. Keeping a picture will also help alot to so you have something to go from to get it back to the way you wanted. HTHs

Ben

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rmiller said:
That is the 15 pack, I love it!! There is just one stone that is not the cichlid stone, it's kinda in the middle to the left. I left it cause I figured they might like to swim through it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PfunMo said:
I would suggest waiting a bit before you do fasten them if you wish. I think for many cichlids they will not like they hiding spots this provides and you may find you want to move them. For African cichlids I find they like to feel totally hidden rather than just under something. When we look at your rocks we can see all the way from front to back. That will not leave the fish feeling safe, I'm afraid. I think of it as if it were me wanting to hide. I would feel much safer in a maze of hallways rather than hiding in one long straight hallway. See what I mean? Think it over, your decision, though. Enjoy.
Not sure if you knew it, but these are cichlid stones, so each rock is hollow and has a hole they can enter. So there are actually 15 caves they can go into. I chose to put most of the openings in the back and sides because I thought it looked funny seeing all these hollow rocks. It just didn't look natural. BUT if they do hide in them, then I might turn some around so I can see them :wink: It's also hard to tell in the pic, but they rocks weave in and out so they are not in a straight line.

But thanks for the info.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
rmiller said:
Those do look like all cichlid stones, I have gotten the same 15 pack myself and love them so far. Was worried about them being too small, but even my full grown dems use them daily.

As far was being concerned about them looking the same as it is now, I was the same way. Your gonna want them separate because they make great traps to catch fish when you need it. Also when your cleaning you will have to remove them and replace them and after doing it a few times you will know right where to put them.

You could also start on one end and remove them one by one, marking the bottom with something, numbering them something like 1B for first one on bottom, and 2T for the next one that goes on top. Keeping a picture will also help alot to so you have something to go from to get it back to the way you wanted. HTHs

Ben
Thanks for the tips. I am actually concerned of the small rocks on top falling off the larger ones in the racing and chasing that may happen in the tank. I didn't know if there was something I could use like the sticky stuff teachers use to stick up posters on the wall, or something like that, but safe for the aquarium. I don't want to glue them or use anything permanant because I am sure I will need to move them in the future.

·
Registered
482 Posts
chances our the fish wont hit the rock hard enough to knock a rock over..atleast would hope not unless there really wobbly wouldnt worry about it to much

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frazee86 said:
chances our the fish wont hit the rock hard enough to knock a rock over..atleast would hope not unless there really wobbly wouldnt worry about it to much
oh, okay, thanks

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have the same ones, and once in a great while one will get moved but like Frazee said it has to be really unstable for it to fall off. Even if it does they are so light they almost float down lightly.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
I have the same ones, and once in a great while one will get moved but like Frazee said it has to be really unstable for it to fall off. Even if it does they are so light they almost float down lightly.
that's good, thanks :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
My only concern with all the openings facing the rear is you're going to be seeing a lot less of your cichlids. Otherwise, a nice setup.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
702Cichlid said:
My only concern with all the openings facing the rear is you're going to be seeing a lot less of your cichlids. Otherwise, a nice setup.
Thanks, I did think of them hiding and not being able to see them. If that happens then I will turn them around. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts