Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

So my tank has been cycling for about 2 weeks using the fishless cycle method. I dosed ammonia to 2ppm and maintained that level. After one week ammonia has disappeared (0 ppm) when testing and now my nitrites are reading 5+ppm. Do i wait for the nitrites to disappear before adding more ammonia?

Temp-80
Ph-8.2

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. So with my nitrites currently at 5+ppm (highest reading test kit will go, could be more) still go ahead and add more ammonia? I just want to make sure.

Take care

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yup.

If you're adding a LOT of fish at first you could dose the same amount, but do it half your regular frequency (if you were doing 1/day, do it every other day).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The test I am using is a API master kit and on the color comparison chart, the highest lvl of nitrite on the card is 5.0 ppm. When i test the water the color doesn't completely match the color that the card has for 5.0ppm but is the closest compared to the colors for the lower lvls of nitrite. This is why I thought that maybe it could be higher the 5.0ppm

Thanks

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I would do small water changes 20-30% to bring your nitrites to 2-3 ppm. Add ammonia at about 1-2 ppm every 2-3 days (assuming it drops down to 0 ppm in 24 hours). There's nothing to be gained from dosing more frequently. I've gone 3-4 days without dosing when I'm trying to get the nitrites to drop with no ill effect.

You want to monitor your nitrites closely though so that they don't get above 2-3 ppm. There is a view that having them above 5 ppm will slow down your cycle.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You've gotten lots of help already, but I'll throw my.02 in. If you had good reason to build a colony of bacteria that could handle 2ppm of ammonia to start, then I'd continue with that dose, but only every other day or so. Different methods work, but I don't cut a dose once I start wtih it. But, really, if you get the dose somewhere between 1-2ppm, that'll do fine for most initial stocking levels. Precision isn't necessary here. And as zimmy said, no need to dose every day. I've gone 3 days and it worked just fine. And I just dump the drops in and if I add one more or less, it really doesn't matter.

The reason for only adding every other day or so, is so that you don't drive up nitrites and ultimately nitrates. It's been reported that nitrites can inhibit the cycling process if allowed to get too high. My tanks always cycled before I ever heard anything about this, or did water changes, so not sure how great an impact they have.

At this point, do small partial water changes of 25% or so daily to keep nitrites down. Bump it up a bit if the level isn't coming down satisfactorily, but don't go crazy and do massive changes. Treat the new bacteria colony as a fragile living thing. If you wouldn't do a 90% change on a new delicate fish, then don't do it to your bacteria.

And you're right, your level may be higher than 5ppm as those color charts can be hard to read.

HTH and sorry for repeating some great advice already given.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all of you guys

When i first posted, I was worried about adding more ammonia since nitrites were high. So through water changes i will lower nitrites down to around 3ppm and then start dosing again with ammonia. Seems like tank has been stuck on nitrites forever, but in reality the whole cycling process has only been going on for 15 days. I guess i need to keep telling myself "patience" :)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
newforestrob said:
yes,patience is key,I,d say youre better than half way there,any questions dont hesitate to ask :thumb:
+1
The first tank I cycled took six or seven weeks before it was processing 1-2 ppm ammonia in 24 hours (with both ammonia and nitrites down to 0 ppm). I thought it would never end but I learned a lot through the process.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts