Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the library articles and it talks about temp, but doesn't tell you what the temp should be.

I'm also wondering at what age/size they are able to be sold or given away as I can't keep them.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Temp should be same as adult tank. You can go a couple degrees higher if you want to force metabolism to speed up growth.

1.5 inch is a good size. Some fish stores have a limit and will only take them above 2 inches for example and not all fish stores will buy them at all from hobbyists. Definitely ask.

1.25 inch would also be OK.

It does not pay to raise/sell fry...it usually costs more or the same in expenses.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Temp should be same as adult tank. You can go a couple degrees higher if you want to force metabolism to speed up growth.

1.5 inch is a good size. Some fish stores have a limit and will only take them above 2 inches for example and not all fish stores will buy them at all from hobbyists. Definitely ask.

1.25 inch would also be OK.

It does not pay to raise/sell fry...it usually costs more or the same in expenses.
thanks for the info.

I'm not planning on making $. I have a home daycare with some 5&6 yr olds and figured it would be fun. I'm only planning to do one batch every now and then.

How many fry should I expect from a first time holding lab?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Depends on how old she is but just guessing I would say 18-20. I've had holds with less and also holds with a lot more.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
From a smaller first time female, I usually get about 8-15 fry. I've found that the second and third time they'll hold considerably more.

Tank temperature - I keep my fry tank at about 80 deg F.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My smallest yellow lab has held twice. She had 9 the first time and 14 the second time. She was under 2" at the time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
zoie said:
I'm not planning on making $. I have a home daycare with some 5&6 yr olds and figured it would be fun. I'm only planning to do one batch every now and then.
I have fed my new fry baby brine shrimp. They like it and they grow pretty fast. And, hatching the brine shrimp is another activity that can be entertaining along the way, if you are interested in that. Of course the fry are attracted to the motion of the swimming brine shrimp so feeding time is a bit more active than giving them crushed dry food. :fish:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pack-rat said:
zoie said:
I have fed my new fry baby brine shrimp. They like it and they grow pretty fast. And, hatching the brine shrimp is another activity that can be entertaining along the way, if you are interested in that. Of course the fry are attracted to the motion of the swimming brine shrimp so feeding time is a bit more active than giving them crushed dry food. :fish:
That sounds cool, thanks. I have been thinking about looking into doing that. I have 2 nano salt water tanks with coral and they love brine shrimp!! Poor brine shrimp, everyone wants to eat them. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts