Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new filter (Aqua-Tech power filter for a 5-15 gal) just to add more water movement on the right side of my tank. When the water comes out of the filter, it breaks the top of the water causing air bubbles.

My other filter (Whisper for a 50 gal) doesn't do this. The water flows over this blue thing and then comes out and just pushes the top of the water causing the water to move.

If my water gets low (stupid cat thinks it's his personal water fountain :roll: ) then there are air bubbles. But then I top it off and they're gone.

What puts oxygen into the water? Is it when the water is broken or is it just the movement on the water?

Should I replace my Whisper filter?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
gas exchange works across as gas to air interfaces... bubbles, flat surface, waves... you name it. What we try to do is get as much water as possible in contact with as much air. Circulating a tank allows all the tank water to get its turn at the top where it hits air. It also stops a biofilm from growing and cutting out the gas/air interchange point.

The odd thing is, the very thing that helps a tank most, is also what drives msot of us nuts as far as noise levels goes... the sound or splishing, splashing, trickling, gurgling, etc.

The trick, IME, is to find the balance point where you and your fish seem to both be happy. Personally, I say that any bit of equipment that forces you to top up your water and check up on your fishes frequently is a good thing and should be kept. My wife, on the other hand, is always trying to get me to silence x, y or z and she would disagree :lol:

Replace it if you need to, but perhaps wait for a really good sale? :thumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Generally it is the surface to air, ie the greater the water surface is to air the greater the oxgen. The movement of top of the water is benefial to release co2 from your tank and adding back needed oxygen, you do not need bubbles for this, just water movement on the surface of your tank will suffice. Movement of water in any depth of your tank is good and will create oxygen for beneficial bacteria.

:wink:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Number6 said:
gas exchange works across as gas to air interfaces... bubbles, flat surface, waves... you name it. What we try to do is get as much water as possible in contact with as much air. Circulating a tank allows all the tank water to get its turn at the top where it hits air. It also stops a biofilm from growing and cutting out the gas/air interchange point.

The odd thing is, the very thing that helps a tank most, is also what drives msot of us nuts as far as noise levels goes... the sound or splishing, splashing, trickling, gurgling, etc.

The trick, IME, is to find the balance point where you and your fish seem to both be happy. Personally, I say that any bit of equipment that forces you to top up your water and check up on your fishes frequently is a good thing and should be kept. My wife, on the other hand, is always trying to get me to silence x, y or z and she would disagree :lol:

Replace it if you need to, but perhaps wait for a really good sale? :thumb:
I actually like the sound of trickling water. It makes me think I'm outside where I would rather be. :) So I guess I will keep it until I have to replace it. Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jmlp3 said:
Generally it is the surface to air, ie the greater the water surface is to air the greater the oxgen. The movement of top of the water is benefial to release co2 from your tank and adding back needed oxygen, you do not need bubbles for this, just water movement on the surface of your tank will suffice. Movement of water in any depth of your tank is good and will create oxygen for beneficial bacteria.

:wink:
Thanks, I'm so glad you said that! :D I don't lke the look of the bubbles. I think I can fix this one so it doesn't make bubbles, but I wanted to find out first. And if I can't fix it, it's only on one side of my tank, so no big deal.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
If I recall my HOB filter builds correctly that little blue piece on your Whisper is what keeps it from bubbling up the water. If you jimmy-rig something similar onto your 5-15 it should do the same.

Personally I don't concern myself too much with noise. The submersible pump on my UGJ makes a hella lotta racket in the form of a very deep hum. I'm going to clean the impeller shaft here in a minute to see if some loose substraits havent gotten in but if they havent it's doing what I want so the noise is just a minor discomfort I can put up with.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ZeNozzle said:
If I recall my HOB filter builds correctly that little blue piece on your Whisper is what keeps it from bubbling up the water. If you jimmy-rig something similar onto your 5-15 it should do the same.

Personally I don't concern myself too much with noise. The submersible pump on my UGJ makes a hella lotta racket in the form of a very deep hum. I'm going to clean the impeller shaft here in a minute to see if some loose substraits havent gotten in but if they havent it's doing what I want so the noise is just a minor discomfort I can put up with.
thanks for the info. I was wondering what that blue thing was. Yeah, I don't like humming noises or noises like that. The chiller fan in my 6 gal. nano makes a wierd noise and i have to bop the hood every morning when I turn the lights on. I should look at it and make sure everything is tight.

Anyway, thanks for hte info. :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I also had one of these whisper filters and thought I read in the directions that the blue part was actually where the bio filtration bacteria was to build up on it. If we are talking about the same thing it is a little blue insert piece that is the last thing the water hits before re-entering the tank, It has a bunch of little "fingers" (for lack of a better word) and it is also to help break up the surface tension to give you the quieter water return.

Maybe Im thinking of something totally different, :-?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
I also had one of these whisper filters and thought I read in the directions that the blue part was actually where the bio filtration bacteria was to build up on it. If we are talking about the same thing it is a little blue insert piece that is the last thing the water hits before re-entering the tank, It has a bunch of little "fingers" (for lack of a better word) and it is also to help break up the surface tension to give you the quieter water return.

Maybe Im thinking of something totally different, :-?
No, I think that sounds like it. My dumb little filter broke. It worked for 10 or 15 minutes, then nothing. I took it out and tried to fiddle with it making sure everything was right. It didn't work. I'm gonna bring it back and just get a power head. I'll put it up high so it will move the surface water.

I really like the whisper filter. I have had it forever and had no problems with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts