Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you tell by this pic.l if my dems are Mozambique or Pombo Rocks? They are about 1+". Not sure if that's too young to clearly identify, but it's hard to get a close up as they are so small and quick.

Judging my behavior and color, I think this is a male and female (but I am very new so I could be wrong)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My guess would be that they are Pombo Rocks Dems. The Mozambiques are alot darker from what I have seen, so much they are referred to as the Midnight Demasoni sometimes.

They look the same as mine and I was told by the breeder that I got them from that they are Pombo's.

If you look at these two profiles, I think you will be able to see the difference a bit more...The Mozambique has more stripes, and the colouring is consistently darker than the Pombo Rocks.

Pombo Rocks:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=849

Mozambique:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1321

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
But...unless they were sold to you as Pombo Rocks, or you are able to go back to the seller and verify their fish are descended from a pair collected at Pombo Rocks with no outside blood, you would leave off the collection point.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
My guess would be that they are Pombo Rocks Dems. The Mozambiques are alot darker from what I have seen, so much they are referred to as the Midnight Demasoni sometimes.

They look the same as mine and I was told by the breeder that I got them from that they are Pombo's.

If you look at these two profiles, I think you will be able to see the difference a bit more...The Mozambique has more stripes, and the colouring is consistently darker than the Pombo Rocks.

Pombo Rocks:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=849

Mozambique:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1321
I was looking at that profile, that's how I found out there were two different kinds. The problem was, half my fish look like one and half my fish look like the other. I have about 4 that look like the Pombo (I think they are male) and I have the rest that look like the Mozambique (I think they are female). To the untrained eye, it is hard to tell.

But I was hoping they were pombo. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
But...unless they were sold to you as Pombo Rocks, or you are able to go back to the seller and verify their fish are descended from a pair collected at Pombo Rocks with no outside blood, you would leave off the collection point.
I didn't think to ask my LFS, but they don't sell them, they ordered them special for me. So they would have to call their dealer, but I guess it's worth a shot. :thumb:

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
It is quite common for demasoni to be sold without a collection point. Mine don't have one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frenzy said:
Aren't Pombos bigger when they become adults?
yup, they get like 4", but I think they are less aggressive. The other ones get like 2.5". But from what I have read they are very aggressive to everyone! I would rather have bigger, nicer fish :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are those sizes for wild fish or tank fish I wonder?

I think both can get a little bigger in tanks with all the good grub :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I seen one the other day at the guys house where I got mine that was tipping 5 inches I will bet. I looked at him and was like :eek: ! Hope my male gets like that. :D

@zoie I bet there is a chance that they could be mixed, but if you really wanted to know I would ask the LFS to see if they can find out for you. Either way though, I am sure you will enjoy them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
[/quote]

I was looking at that profile, that's how I found out there were two different kinds. The problem was, half my fish look like one and half my fish look like the other. I have about 4 that look like the Pombo (I think they are male) and I have the rest that look like the Mozambique (I think they are female). To the untrained eye, it is hard to tell.

Thanks[/quote]

There probably all Pombo, the less dominant ones within the group won't show as much color.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks[/quote]

There probably all Pombo, the less dominant ones within the group won't show as much color.[/quote]

I figured the lighter colored ones were female, maybe :-?

·
Registered
363 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
I seen one the other day at the guys house where I got mine that was tipping 5 inches I will bet.
Now *that* is bound to be one scary fish. They're mean enough at 2", lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.