Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I hope here is o.kay.

I have labs and dems. I am starting to get a layer of green algae on my rocks. I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm not sure if this is the kind of algae my BN placo will eat, or my fish, or if I should scrub it off my rocks.

It looks mostly brown here, but it is mostly green with a little brown.

Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
A lot of mbuna are algae grazers anyway. Cant do any harm.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it looks o.kay for now. I will leave it and step in if it gets ugly.

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
IMO, as long as it is green and not mostly brown/black, you should try to leave it for the fish to graze. If it grows faster than they eat it, you could try increasing water changes and/or reducing the amount of light (to slow the growth), or you could cut back on feeding to increase their appetites.

I rarely get green algae. If my tank gets any growth it is very dark ugly stuff that nobody will eat! :x

·
Registered
95 Posts
Its fairly well known that planted tanks help mitigate nitrates as the plants consume them and produce oxygen. Does algae also consume nitrates?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jprime84 said:
Its fairly well known that planted tanks help mitigate nitrates as the plants consume them and produce oxygen. Does algae also consume nitrates?
I'm not too sure with fresh water tanks, but I know in salt water tanks hair algae eats phophates and I think nitrates too, but it is ugly and will take over your tank. I am so use to salt water tanks that it is wierd to even have nitrates in the water and to leave algae.

I think I will shorten my light schedule. I try not to turn them on when I get up (4:30 am) but by 5:30 I can't help it and they go on. I don't turn them off till about 7:00 at night. That is probably too long. I will try to wait until 7:00 to turn them on.

·
Registered
509 Posts
jprime84 said:
Yes, algae will consume nitrates. A lot of people grow algae in external sumps as an easy way to eliminate nitrate completely.

·
Registered
169 Posts
zoie said:
I think I will shorten my light schedule. I try not to turn them on when I get up (4:30 am) but by 5:30 I can't help it and they go on. I don't turn them off till about 7:00 at night. That is probably too long. I will try to wait until 7:00 to turn them on.
I use cheap light timers on my tanks. It's easy to keep up with how many hours a day the light is on and of course it becomes automatic. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I personally don't mind algae in my tank. I get the bright green on my rocks and actually like it. I know my fish do :) I do clean it off the glass but that is it. My fish keep it well cropped on the rocks. Plus it gives the tank a natural look and not a sterile one. It just stays in check. Never had a "algae bloom". I keep my lights on for 10 hrs a day. From about 1200 pm to 1000pm. Having algae isn't a bad thing as long as its the right kind. But each to their own :thumb:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Try to limit your light on time to 8 hours a day. I have those 4$ timers on all my tanks, makes it easy. In most cases, less light = less algae.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So while we're on the subject, can anyone explain to me why some tanks grow 'acceptable' green algae and other tanks (like mine) grow this ugly black stuff that no fish will eat?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
frank1rizzo said:
i am over here trying to grow it for my trophs... i hate you! :D
That's so funny. It's the same way in the saltwater world. Everyone wants coraline algae to grow in their tank and some people can't get it to grow. I have it everywhere and in all different colors! I keep scraping it off my glass on almost a daily basis.

Well good luck growing your algae. Again, I'm not too familar with fresh water yet, but I know with coraline, some people will seed it with a rock that has coraline on it. Not sure if it's the same with fresh, but maybe you could buy a rock at LFS with the algae you want on it and put it in your tank and see what happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts