Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i get to use my grandpa 55 gallon now. i am moving in with them so i get to set it up in my room in the basement. so does this sound good?
1 female jag?
or
1 male JD 1 male convict 1 firemouth?
or
1 oscar 1 male convict?

which one??

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im just excited my first BIG tank ( well to me anyways ) but all i ahve for cichlids are ( and u can make up ur mind and help me what to stock ) 3 convicts total ( 2 are a jb pair ) 1 male black convict 1 jag 3 JD ( 2 are males and 1 im suspecting a female ) 1 angel fish 1 firemouth type fish.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Jag is out.

I also think you'll have difficulty keeping the firemouth with the JD and convict. I tried this in my 55 gallon and I could not make it work; the JD was murderously aggressive toward the convict. Maybe its just my JD, he is not very nice to his female counterpart either. Where is the firemouth living now? If it's with the JDs and convicts now I guess you'd be okay.

I think I'd try a male JD with male and female convict, or a male and female JD with a male or female convict. You could run into issues if spawning occurs.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
why dont u use this 55 for the JD pair you wanted? then use the 29 you wanted for the dempsey pair for the firemouth and convict?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
im just excited my first BIG tank ( well to me anyways )
I understand that! I was to when I got my 55! But it's best to stock the tank with doable options so that your fish are happy and healthy and get along! When your fish are happy it makes you happy!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had a jag in a 55 with a jd, 2 fm's and 2 convicts when I first started out. Worked for about a month but the jag killed everything. 20 dead fish later(kept trying new cichlids) I got rid of the female jag.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think you could do a JD, con, and FM if they were all females. Does that appeal to you?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts