Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some fake hollowed out rocks in my aquarium for about a year now and I never moved it. It sits firmly into my sand so no light can get in. Today I was cleaning and lifted it up to rearrange and all this black mold like fuzz came out and a lot of it floated into the water. A lot of my cichlids swam by and ate a chunk full of it as I tried to siphon it all out. What is this and is it harmful to the fish??! I thought algae only grew with sunlight but there's no sunlight that would have hit inside the hollowed out rocks. Help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Algae will grow in indirect light, and, if it were not edible the fish would have spit it out. What kind of fish do you have? Malawi Mbuna are vegetarian and will eat algae if it is present.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top