Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I just go with Omega One Chiclid Flakes, Omega One Veggie Rounds, and Omega One Super Color Chiclid Pellets and supplement their diet with Krill Shrimp about twice a week? I notice somewhere that protein should be 40-48% and that fat should be 2.5-8%. The Omega Products are 39,34,38 on Crude Protein and 11,8,11% respectively. Is this ok or do I need to switch to NLS or Dianichi? I notice that Omegas and NLS formulas are very similar, as well as having no fillers, and the numbers are close to the recommended amounts.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I use both Omega 1 and NLS. Omega is local for me where as NLS is not. I know lots of other people who use Omega 1 with out and problems.

Personally I feel your fish will be fine on Omega 1 but I do think they look better and seem better on NLS. IMO.

To each his own though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not my question, I need to know if NLS meets the necessary requirements as listed. What is their nutritional breakdown? Is it within the recommended 40-48% Crude Protein and 2.5-8% Fat levels?

·
Super Moderator
40,497 Posts
Protein 34%. Fat 5%. Fiber 5%.

The recommended levels depend on what fish you are feeding. Under 35% is ideal for mbuna.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently made the switch from Omega One to NLS and I have noticed significantly more growth, color, and overall healthiness in all my fish. Just wanted to share my personal experience from recently making the switch in case you find it relevant.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
zombiefish said:
Thats not my question, I need to know if NLS meets the necessary requirements as listed. What is their nutritional breakdown? Is it within the recommended 40-48% Crude Protein and 2.5-8% Fat levels?
and I thought the pH dragon was the only dragon aquarists liked to chase... :lol:

zombiefish... stop overanalyzing it... you do not need to find a fish food that meets "the necessary requirements". Your Omega One regiment is unnecessary as is NLS.
I personally use NLS but there are many other high quality foods that are fine on their own. E.g. your fish would be fine on nothing but the Omega pellets. No need for "treats" like the krill.

Simplify... :thumb:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Number6 said:
Simplify... :thumb:
Agreed. With all foods- the key is the quality of the ingredients and with Omega or NLS you'll be just fine. ...But what we really need to know is what fish you are trying to feed.

Over the years I have fed NLS exclusively to herbivores and carnivores, Mbuna, Tangs and Vics- no issues. I've mixed it up a bit now with Tropheus (added some Dianichi) and with raising fry (golden pearl and decapsulated brine shrimp).

·
Super Moderator
40,497 Posts
Which ones? Rift lakes? West Africans? Riverine?

And feeding a carnivore like venustus might be different than feeding a tropheus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have malawis and some mbunas. I need to know the ingredient breakdown vs dianichi and nls as well. They like the Super Color Chiclid Pellets and the Veggie Rounds, but I switched to the Omega flakes instead of the Tetra Chiclid Crisps because they had better quality ingredients but they are not working well for me at all. If you have tried them you already know what I'm talking about without going into too much detail. Now I am looking for some other kind of flake besides Omega. Any advice would be helpful.

"Feeding fish nutritionally sound into the next millenium" by Zombiefish

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Seriously. Omega is fine. Most tetra products are cruddy.

Your biggest danger is going to be over feeding.

Instead of spending your time and money worrying needlessly about food, do a few extra water changes. Your fish will be much healthier from clean water than from anything you could feed them.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
triscuit said:
Instead of spending your time and money worrying needlessly about food, do a few extra water changes. Your fish will be much healthier from clean water than from anything you could feed them.
Well said, and absolutely true.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts