Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leak testing the 75g tank. So far, so good. The plastic frame is in bad looking shape. They had a chinchilla in it and it chewed up the inside. The lip is gone on the inside and I am not sure it will support a lid. They have staples in the top also. It was left outside a couple of years, so it is worn and faded. I was thinking about painting it black with krylon fusion spray paint for plastic.
75g tank.jpg

I bought this stand from facebook marktplace Sunday. It was $50, which was more than the wife wanted to spend, but we got it.
Stand.jpg

I am having a hard time getting my tank set up. Working two jobs just wares me out. I won't be able to do anything on it until Thursday evening, late :(

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would just paint the trim, unless you are putting a canopy on it. Then you don't see it.

·
2,088 Posts
amazing what a difference a coat of paint will make. I'd mask off the glass and the top, and spray the trim. I'd not bother with the part of the trim that won't be visible. Give it a quick sanding with 220 grit paper first to help the new paint adhere. A couple of thin coats is much better than one thick one as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope to paint it Friday. I was complaining that it is taking so long to switch tanks. In the past when I was younger this all would have been done in an evening.
I am pushing into the second week already. I am really anxious to be setting up an African Cichlid tank.
I see it in my daydreams, now if I can find everything I need to make it look like I imagine it.
Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
641 Posts
johnnymax said:
I was complaining that it is taking so long to switch tanks. In the past when I was younger this all would have been done in an evening. I am pushing into the second week already.
lol I think that all the time 8) I'm not too old yet, but not as young as I used to be. I'm just thankful I can still do as much as I can, though surprisingly in other areas I can accomplish more than ever.

But patience will pay off for small projects like this.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ken31cay said:
clip....But patience will pay off for small projects like this.
That's is my point. This is a small project!
I was contemplating building a 1000g plywood and glass grow out tank in my shop building. That would take me years if it goes like this little tank... :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tank pasted full 24 hour leak test. Cleaned and sanded the frame. It is now painted black and drying. Next to cut and tape foam to put under it and have my grandson help me get it in the house.
Slowly getting there :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI, the tank frame looks pretty good painted black. I wasn't sure it would look good, but I am pleased.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.