Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have in storage a couple of 5-gallon buckets of "live rock." By that, I mean rock that I purchased as live rock back when I had a saltwater aquarium many years ago. It' been sitting in our root cellar for at least 15 years. I would assume there is nothing "live" about it any more.

I'm setting up an additional Malawi mbuna community in a 75, and I'm contemplating using the live rock for my rockwork. It asthetically better than any other rock I have in storage.

Does anybody know any reason (from a fish health point of view) why I shouldn't do this? Tap water is hard and alkaline if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
After 15 years anything live should have long died and dried out, but I think I'd still test it by dropping it into a bucket of some sort and checking for ammonia. No other reason not to use old live rock in freshwater.

You're like me, I hang on to fish sutff forever too. :) Never know when you might need it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
my tank is a salt converted cichlid. I kept my same live rock and same live sand in my 75. My live rock i pulled and placed in my garden tub for 3 days in fresh amquel and nova aqua treated water . Drained and refilled every 24 hours. This gave me time to drain , stir, settle , siphon, repeated 5x to get extra biologicals out. And my tank couldn't be happier with it. good luck and would like to see final pics.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 6835_n.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts