Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife came home from grocery shopping yesterday and had a surprise for me! A 5 lb. bag of Tilapia fillets!!

:eek: :x

I got upset and implored her to never bring Tilapia into our house again unless it was alive and there was to be a 300 gallon tank delivered that day. I explained to her that they are cichlids, and although they are probably farm raised and don't affect their population in nature, it still bothered me immensely to see them. She of course rolled her eyes and said "fine". A few seconds later she called me a "fish nerd" and left the room.
Good. Now I want a 300 gallon tank so I can keep rendalli and it's her fault. Ha-Ha, who's laughing now? :lol: 8)

·
Registered
976 Posts
That’s tasty stuff…..Eat up…

Just don’t eat your pets….

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I can't bring myself to eat Tilapia either... they look like big versions of the Tilapia I had... snyderae!

I'm with you on this one! :thumb:

·
Registered
445 Posts
:-? i dont eat any type of fish... i just dont like them i only eat lobster.. and king crab... :dancing: :drooling:

·
Registered
445 Posts
:lol: i go to the chineese buffet with friends untill they tell us we cant eat no more! i get pissed and go to another one.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I love having my big happy mozambiques, watching them open their mouths all wide to fake their way through a fight, watch them built their huge spawning pits, watch a mother brood her young, watch the babies grow and look and act like miniature versions of their parents.
...but I have absolutely no problem hand picking out a few from the market and gutting/descaling and frying them up for a good dinner.

I just don't eat my pets. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
straitjacketstar said:
I love having my big happy mozambiques, watching them open their mouths all wide to fake their way through a fight, watch them built their huge spawning pits, watch a mother brood her young, watch the babies grow and look and act like miniature versions of their parents.
...but I have absolutely no problem hand picking out a few from the market and gutting/descaling and frying them up for a good dinner.

Wow that first part was almost poetic. I guess I see your point; I feel the same way about my dogs and cat. Talk about buffet! :drooling:

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Cich of it all said:
straitjacketstar said:

Wow that first part was almost poetic. I guess I see your point; I feel the same way about my dogs and cat. Talk about Chinese buffet! :drooling:
I figure every animal's edible in some part of the world.
And if it did ever come to eating a dog, I figure I'd start with a pull-your-hair-out hyperactive yappy little yorkie. :lol:

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I saw an episode of Dirty Jobs where they were farming Hybrid Striped bass. All the waste went through a canal where they raised Tilapia. They never feed the tilapia directly, they only get what flows out of the bass tanks, if you get my drift. These tilapia are raised as a food fish. Needless to say, I do not eat tilapia.

·
Registered
445 Posts
yea i saw that one and then they get a big net that goes from one end of the canal to the other and get them all.. pretty cool my mom actually ate fish today.. tilapia.. :?

·
Registered
589 Posts
You guys who can't eat tilapia because of how they are fed must also have a problem with eating shellfish.... crabs, shrimp, crawfish, etc. are the vultures of the seas...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well..... those of us from Louisiana like crawfish boiled, Cajun-style, with corn, potatoes, and
sausage. If you've never had them, (like little mini-lobsters spicy-hot) you should try them!

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
football mom said:
You guys who can't eat tilapia because of how they are fed must also have a problem with eating shellfish.... crabs, shrimp, crawfish, etc. are the vultures of the seas...
Shellfish are not feed an exclusive diet of fish waste, like they are in this particular case of fish farming.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I actually have no clue what commercially raised crawfish are fed. Some "chow" made by Purina, no doubt. As far as the natural crab diet:
My Great-Auntie, born and raised in New Orleans, told me she stopped eating crabs and shrimp
the day she watched them fish a dead body out of the bayou, and it was covered with .....
crabs and shrimp. Well, it will be a cold day in ...... when I stop eating crab, shrimp, and crawfish, although here in Texas they have to ship the crawfish in.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Does it really matter what your fish/crustaceans/etc actually eat? The digestive processes work on a chemical level and convert nutrients into the flesh that we consume... so it doesn't really make any difference what the tilapia are fed on from a fish fillet perspective unless the food is contaminated with something like heavy metals that will be stored in the muscles or fat of the fish. At least IMO. ;)

... even so, I'd probably balk at eating clam or oyster, just from all the horror stories of people getting food poisoning from them. Never mind that I grew up eating scallop for Christmas Eve. :roll:

Anybody ever had sea slug? :drooling: :lol:

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Dave said:
football mom said:
Shellfish are not feed an exclusive diet of fish waste, like they are in this particular case of fish farming.
Does that go for all market "tilapia"?
What about those delicious Costa Rican ones? :roll: :lol:
A 7 Seas restaurant nearby always adds the "Costa Rican" part to their Tilapia dishes.
I really don't care. They is good.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.