Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 125g is finally running and the Rena XP4 is really great. So quiet and efficent. So I drove to the LFS an hour one way to get some Stability to cycle it. So I looked at the tanks and saw a really cool looking fish I had never seen before. So I got it and headed home. Got home and was trying to figure out what I had as he was very strange. He had brown spots one minute and they would just about disapear a few minutes later. Very cool. FOUND it a Livingstonii. Looks exactly like the picture! What is that? Started reading up..... 10" to 11" WHAT??? MEAN, oh no....
So I proved I cant pick fish. I need your help. I really want to keep it to 5" to 6" size range. I love the yellows, blues, reds, (Orange) and the bright colors. My sand is black (Another story there) Can you please help me?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Prolly most here have made that same error. Then buyers remorse when you get home and find it's a piscavore :eek:

You have the tank for that fish so you just need to decide wether to keep it or not. What works best is to go to the LFS with out your wallet a few times and window shop and take notes. When you get home research those pretty colors and shapes you jotted down and before long you will have a manageable pallette of colors and sizes that you can enjoy.

Good luck, half the fun is in the journey.

·
Registered
213 Posts
As I am a newbie, I can explain "my" experience in looking for a stocking list as it seems you are at the same spot.

Step 1 If you already have an aquarium, look to see (ask the forum) what fish best suit that size tank.
4 foot, lots of choice with Mbuna's "or" maybe some of the small haps and peacocks. 6' most Haps and peacocks)you have lot's of options.(You are on the Malawi Species site so I'm listing it's species)

Step 2 I went to the cookie cutter in the forum library, it lists species in compatibility and colour (although I think its only up to 75 gal so post your final list if your stocking a larger tank).

Step 3 Got my stock list together, read individual profiles from the profiles section of the forum noting aggression traits and diet.

Step 4 I did not follow the cookie cutter so posted my list on the forum and asked for feedback.

During this process I was cycling my tank and reviewing substrate, rockwork, filtration and water chemistry needs, all available on the forum library, but I still had questions so posted them. Found out alot of info that did not deal directly with the fish I bought but it led me to understand one thing, don't buy fish or equipement till you read up. Its cost me more than I'd like to say buying the wrong stuff, or just plain unnecessary stuff.

Not sure if this helps you but .......for what it's worth!

As for your cichlid - don't know what to say.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have three Venustus and a Clown Loach...all will eventually be too large for my 125 gallon; but, I will enjoy them until they get around 6" then trade them in at the LFS for credit. Live and learn, I say! :dancing:

·
Registered
623 Posts
biglove said:
I have three Venustus and a Clown Loach...all will eventually be too large for my 125 gallon; but, I will enjoy them until they get around 6" then trade them in at the LFS for credit. Live and learn, I say! :dancing:
Those fish should be fine long term in a 125 as long as you don't have like 30 of em. But they get big!

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
You like the bright colors and you pick a brown spotted fish??? :lol:

Mixed genders or all-male? In my opinion the brightest colors are mbuna and a mixed gender tank is the way to go with those. See the stocklist for my 75G and add one species for a 125G. If you are going to mix labs and red zebra like I do, keep only female zebras and no zebra fry. And/or have 5-6 Synodontis multipunctatus for fry control.

All male go with haps and peacocks and read the all-male article in the Library. Then go to Your Tanks by Member and peruse stock lists of experienced fishkeepers like Joea, Fogelhund and GoofBoy.

There are no cookie cutters for a 125G. :(

·
Registered
363 Posts
In my experience, Nimbochromis is a pretty aggressive genus, but livingstoni (and polystigma) are not as bad as fucso and venustus or any of the Tyranocromis species. He has potential to eat your fry short term and be a bully in the end, but as long as you do not try to keep a female when he gets bigger, I think he will be fine. Great fish.... one of my favorite predators. :thumb:

I guess it comes down to which direction you want to go in. If you're interested in doing an mbuna community, this guy will not fit in. If you're thinking all-male peacocks and haps, this is a solid start.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, no problem bringing the naughty fish back and exchanging it. It was labeled as "Assorted" and the sign did say five to six inches...... A fish almost a foot long even if it is really nice is simply too big, it will dwarf the others I really like. (Yellow Labs & Red Zebra's) PS Why do they call them RED Zebras when they are really orange? Are there any Red ones?

I looked at the 75g cookie cutter and YES that is what I’m looking for! I’m going with the Malawi Mbuna. I love the colors! I’ll get a list together and ask for the okay BEFORE I get all excited and get more. I’ll just exchange the Livingstonii for a yellow lab and start with that.

One more thing, I have a Lace Catfish. (The lone survivor of the 2010 'black weekend' when I lost all but him/her.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
sheldon_goldwing said:
>snip<
PS Why do they call them RED Zebras when they are really orange? Are there any Red ones?

Thanks
Not sure 'bout how red they get but my males are Blue :lol:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Chunkanese said:
biglove said:
Those fish should be fine long term in a 125 as long as you don't have like 30 of em. But they get big!
I would imagine I would have to ditch some of my precious 440#s of river rock. :( :oops:

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Chunkanese said:
Cherry red zebras are near red. I find the females typically turn yellow. Atleast mine did
What fish did you have that the females turned yellow?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts