Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching craigslist for a while now for a 6 ft tank... they just aren't that common in my area, especially at reasonable prices. Anyway, my husband and I drove 70 miles (each way) on Sunday to look at a 150g and when we get there it had no silicone! We asked the seller if it leaked (was given to him from his sister in law) and he told us not that he knew of... well I'm guessing that it had been used for reptiles and the silicone was scraped out when it was cleaned or something along those lines. Ugh. Last year we went to look at another tank that was homemade out of 3/4 inch glass, sitting in a carport with nasty water in it and on a stand about to crumble. Yuck, not to mention that it weighed a ton! I'm just kinda frustrated and I'm thinking that we're going to have to buy a new one. At least then I know what I'm getting then without wasting the time and money looking at these crazy tanks. I've also set a 25 mile radius so that if I do get crazy and give it another chance then it won't be too bad.

Sorry just needed to vent- you know how it is when you have big tank fever!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Keep looking. It took me about 4 months before I found one on there that was in my price range. Got 125G tank, stand, 2 lights, 2 filters, 2 heaters, sink fill hose, some salt and food for $400. Have it up and cycling now and it looks great.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I got a 125 with 2 36" lights, glass hoods with plastic filler things for the back for 100$. Turns out the guy bought it for the live rock but didn't want the tank. Deals happen if you watch craigslist everyday.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah at times it can be somewhat frustrating. But just be patient and keep looking on a daily basis. Make sure if they don't have pics posted on their listing that they either email or text you pics so you atleast get a better idea of what there stuff looks like. Goodluck!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I spent ages looking for a new tank, finally bought a 4ft two weeks ago, only to last night be offered a 6ft right on my doorstep :roll:

I don't really have rooom for the 6ft anyway, not without loosing the 4ft and the 3ft....do I? :fish:

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
M&S

yes!!! You can do so much more in a 6ft tank than you can in the 2 separate tanks...

doxiegirl
just a tip but make sure you search craigs and other sites for 'fish tank', 'aquarium', 'corals'

I've seen some ads come up for good tanks under only 1 of the above terms!!! I'm sure there are other good key words to use as well. :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
i found my 125 with 2 canisters, 72" flour lights, glass hood, stand, heaters, decor and protien skimmer on kijiji for 300 dollars

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do wonder at the price people list their aquarium items...

Have you tried EBAY and limit the search to how ever far you are willing to drive?

·
Registered
623 Posts
try kijiji as well, craigslist used to be more common but kijiji has definitely taken the lead and in my city which isnt very big, theres 7000 ads. Dont give up, wait for spring cleaning, most people tend to drag out everything from their house and garage and sell it for really cheap just to get it out of the way. I bought my motorcycle and fish tank that way.

·
Registered
623 Posts
irondan said:
i found my 125 with 2 canisters, 72" flour lights, glass hood, stand, heaters, decor and protien skimmer on kijiji for 300 dollars
dang, thats a good deal. I paid 300 for my 90 gallon, stand, glass hood, light, heater, canister filter, decor, and air pump. Mind you the guy drove pretty far to drop it off since it wouldnt fit in my car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

I'm trying to be patient, we've been looking for over a year now, but our basement/fish room just got finished a month ago so we're ready now. I have a perfect spot for it but the longer it's empty the more likely I'm to fill it with other tanks :p. We have both salt and fresh and that equals a lot of tanks. The room currently has a 65g, 60g, 2x 55g, 4x 40 breeder, 2x 20 long, 28 nanocube, 27g cube- and there's tanks upstairs too! It's not like I have a shortage of tanks, but the big one means fish that I can't keep in the shorter tanks. I really want a geo or tropheus tank, or maybe a larger salt tank.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You just got to watch craigslist everyday. I got my 125, oak stand and canopy, 2 36 in double lights, 2 heaters, 2 magnum 350s, box of other random stuff (only thing I didn't get was glass tops) all for $300 and it looks brand new. I was watching the site everyday for months and than that one popped up and I called instantly and there had already been people calling trying to low-ball them so the guy told them to get lost because he knew it was already a good deal. I was happy to give him $300 for it, normally in my area on there they go for around 500 and not as nice or with as much stuff. Just check it everyday and like said before in other post check different threads on there I found my in the furniture section. Good luck, and the harder you have to look for it the happier you'll be when you find it lol (at least I was)

·
Registered
509 Posts
The best tip about Craigslist is use searchtemptest.com

I set up a complex search with multiple terms, selected a radius in miles, and then have it fed via RSS to my computer and phone :D

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
dotbomb said:
The best tip about Craigslist is use searchtemptest.com

I set up a complex search with multiple terms, selected a radius in miles, and then have it fed via RSS to my computer and phone :D
I wish I had never found out about this.

I have that awful habit of finding AWESOME deals for fish stuff then going through with them even though I have absolutely no space for them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Since we are having a "rub it your face party here" :lol: I will post up my scores on craigslist

Got a 55 gallon with stand and eheim 2215 for 110

Then scored a 37 gallon with stand/canopy and cascade 1000 for 100 bucks sold the cascade for 40. So i got the tank/stand for 60 bucks

Then i think i got a really amazing deal 3 weeks ago. Got a 90 gallon with tank stand canopy live sand, 100 lbs live rock a sump 2 mag 5 hydor inline heater and a 38 gallon with stand for 300 bucks. I sold the fish for 70 and the live sand and rock for 130. So i am still left with my 90 gallon tank and canopy a sump with 2 mag5 and ice cap 660 ballast with 3 VHO bulbs , inline hydor 300 watt heater, a magnum 350 canister filter, 38 gallon and stand and this i got all for 100 dollars after i sold of some livestock =D>

Just keep looking. If you don't look, you wont find

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you have a smartphone, there are craigslist apps out there. The one I have on my phone updates every few minutes. You just put in what you're looking for, the catagory you want to search (I use "all for sale/wanted"), price range (you can leave that blank), and region you want to look in. The search stays active until you delete it, and you can have as many active searches as you want.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts