Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how come there is no official profile on these awesome mbunas???
let's see some white top hara pictures!!
I'll start off with a few of mine

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hmmm...Maybe this will coerce Fogelhund into posting pics of his! :wink:

Here is one of my F1 teenage boys:

And the wild daddy,who is an impressive 5 inches:

I have a tank full of these guys, one of my favourite mbuna by far!

Kim

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Someone else has borrowed my camera, I will try to remember when I get it back this weekend.

I have about 30 of them of varying sizes in a tank with Ps. Msobo Deep and a trio of trewavasae. It's the perfect balance of temperament and personality.

Kim

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
What do the females look like? Are they boring like most other cyno females or do they have blue coloring?

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Laurel said:
What do the females look like? Are they boring like most other cyno females or do they have blue coloring?
Nope, they're a nice blue also. This is one of the better Cynos when it comes to females IMO. Cobue is another.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
These two are young females, I'm pretty sure.

They are almost a purplish blue.

I just moved a trio of Ps. zebra Long pelvics out of my white top tank last weekend, and it is amazing how many males I have colouring up now. (The zebra male was a maniac...)

I was really concerned that I would only have one or two males showing any nice bright colouring, but I'd say I've got at least 10.

Here are a few more pics I found:

They are even stunning babies!

These were in a grow out tank (not a great pic, but you'll get my point) , not even an inch in size, and look how impressive they can be:

Kim

G

·
These guys are awesome...

What's some basic info on them? Size, diet, temperament?

They look awesome... Great pictures everybody...

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Oh, I like the last pic, Cichlidaholic! I can't wait until mine are in the 125G!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I feed mine the same diet all my omnivores get.

Temperament wise, they are probably what you would define as "middle of the road". Their aggression is conspecific, but my older (wild) ones don't seem to be anywhere near as aggressive as my younger (tank raised) ones. The bigger ones just spend the day swimming around the tank and looking nice, and breaking up fights between the young ones. The young males are like the school yard bullies, but I've never seen any of them do any real damage.

I can tell you this. If you have highly aggressive species in with them, you won't see their true behaviour and personality. I've kept mine in several different scenarios, and this is the best situation for them. (Seems like alot of the Cynotilapia variants are easily intimidated by some of the more psychotic mbuna, IME.)

My adult males are right at 5 inches, and the females are about 4- 4 1/2. The fry are a vibrant gorgeous blue from the time they are born, and as you can see in the pic above, it doesn't take long before those little cichlid personalities show up!

Kim

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Here are a few pics from my F1 group. I got them from AquaBid from a seller in Wisconsin....you guys probably know him. His name is Mark (Aquarius). He got the WC parents from Steve (J_N_S). I'm thinking my guys might be siblings too...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
maxwell1295, I think you need to see about getting some orthodontic braces for that first one! He has quite the gap between his two front teeth! :lol:

Amazing how the Cynotilapia mouth structure makes those teeth so prominent, isn't it?

Really great pics, they look amazing!

Kim

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya your fish are deffinitely indirectly or directly related to mine and why_spyders
i'm guessing since we all got fish from JNS!

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Yeah - Steve (JNS) and Aquarius are good friends. I think Steve had supplied a lot of the white tops out there. lol. Yogurtpooh and my white top's both came from Steve too.

edit: Whoops! Shoulda looked for the second page - Yogurt beat me too it lol.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts