Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I picked up a Odyssea CFS 500 and it moves a ton of water, great filter.
Now for some issues with the one I got right out of the box.

1. They ship it with huge/thick o-rings on the input and output stems, this makes it super hard to push them on, the solution it to use the o-rings from a Fluval fx Series and optionally the stop valves.
With the FX series or equivalent o-rings it makes a huge difference in the amount of force needed to install and uninstall the stop valves. I will post some pics of the o-rings it came with and how they got all kinked up from the extreme force needed to push them on. I'm a big guy and it was difficult for me to install and remove them, not bragging but i'm pretty strong :)

2. The vibration noise out of the box even with all air out is pretty loud and the problem is that the pump is attached to the bottom of the bucket with suction cups and it has a slide on piece that the suction cups mount into that makes it even louder.
What I did is to remove the slide on suction cup mount for the pump and toss it and the suction cups, and instead I used the bottom black filter as a template and cut a circle out of a OXO silicone drying mat, the large size, I then placed this on the entire bottom of the bucket, next I cut a square piece to fit in the cut out on the black sponge, then installed the pump on top of that. Once the air is out the noise reduction from the vibration is huge, it's not more quiet than the sunsun 404b sitting next to it. the black and white sponge are plenty to hold the pump, and with the silicone on the bottom of the bucket the suction cups are simply not needed. You could even cut two bottom circles from the OXO silicone mat instead of the small square that fits in the black sponge.

If you do nothing else make sure it has the smaller thickness o-rings from the FX series and if you want the FX series stop valves, I think the ones it comes with are OK with the proper o-rings, but you can get the stop valves and o-rings together from Big Al's for a decent price.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There are tons of threads on other forums about the input/output o-rings and how for awhile they were coming with the right ones, not sure how they could not know about the o-ring issue at the factory that makes these.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.