Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired one of these wonderful lights that is just shy of 48" for my 150 gallon cichlid tank, but the bummer is some bozo cut off the plug in and I am not able to find ANY specs on this. I have gone to three LFS (one of which the owner is an electrician), two hardware stores, and Radio Shack .... has anyone used one of these lights? Could you please tell what the power voltage is? What does the 120 V need to be converted to ... unknown DC volts? I need the power box that converts 120 V to the unknown DC ... if someone could help me out that would be great.

·
Registered
74 Posts
generally speaking leds can range from 1.5-12v this light probably uses either 3 or 6. You do not want to just hook it up to 120v but you probably know that. you also dont want to just hook it up to a transformer. leds have a narrow range of voltage required, to little and they wont work, to much and they burn out instantly. A proper 'cord' in this case will have both a transformer and a voltage regulator/controller. if you find out the specific voltage for the leds you can find the proper transformer and plans to build a voltage regulator online pretty easy, possibly even a unit ready to go. i've burned up 15dollar leds trying to just 'wing' it.

sorry that i cant be a ton of help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is that we do not know what the voltage requirements are for this particular light. It has 30+ large LED bulbs it. This is a pretty spendy light and we do not want to 'wing' it and break it, so we are hoping that someone actually has one of these and could help us out on what the proper power is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No ... the only thing that the darn thing says is the makers name (Odyssea) and the make (Blue Moon). There are nothing else on the unit at all. We measured it and it is just shy of 48", and it has 35 large LED lights that are encompassed in a glass cylinder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts