Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently my male Metriaclima Greshakei (currently the biggest and dominant male of the tank) and my Melanochromis johannii hybrid have been fighting over dominance.
They have happily got along not bothering each other for quite some time, as they were both in the tank when I got it from a friend about a year ago.
The greshakei has just beat the johannii up and his color has faded but he still will not back down.
(They have been doing this for about a week)
Whats strange is they both slap the surface of the water with their tails and sides, often hitting the filter making a loud thump.

Is this surface and filter hitting normal? Will they quite fighting soon or just kill each other?
Like I said they just recently started this and have gotten along fine up until now.

Anyone have any clue to what I can do or suggestions on this? :-?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
andrew5859 said:
just kill each other?
Sounds like this is the goal and they are on their way. :( Do you have injuries or just faded color?

When I hear this sound it is the fish leaping from the water and banging into the cover. Could be the victim fleeing or the aggressor going so fast he cannot stop.

If you have injuries you may need to remove someone.

How big is the tank and what are the tankmates?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The johannii hybrid is a little scraped up but nothing too bad just faded colors.....for now.

They were both hitting the filter....they seem a little better tonight.

I just find it odd that all of a sudden they are fighting?? The johannii hybrid is clearly starting it by being in the greshakei's territory so im not really sure what hes trying to prove.

The tank is a 30 gallon long. I know I know thats small but I received it from a friend who wanted rid of it.
The tank mates are 3 yellow labs and an unknown grey female (the hybrid johanni has already mated with her before). and a small bushy nose pleco.

There is TONS of rock work so theres plenty of territory....just dont know why they started fighting after being together without problems for such a long time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hard to say.
After a year and a half I had a rusty that started to deliberately attack the dominate Scolofi male. In an all male tank, 7 males.
He would get beat, swim away the length of the tank, 48", turn around, zoom back and bite the other male and retreat.

The Scolofi only chased him when attacked. Neither one really did damage.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I'd still say not enough territory and too many males.

Territory is a reserved portion of the tank (not so much a certain number of rocks), especially the substrate. Each fish wants at least a square foot and there is not enough to go around.

Johannii are better in a 75G with 7 johannii females since it is a very aggressive fish. Greshakei are better in a 55G with 4 greshakei females since it is a medium aggressive fish. I would not stock either of these in a 30G, even as a species tank.

Maybe they are just hitting the right level of maturity after the move to your house a year ago (having resettled into the tank) and the inevitable is happening.

If you are locked into the 30G I'd trade the other fish for a couple more labs and have a species tank. Maybe 6 fish.

If you can get a 75G rectangle that is 48" x 18" then add females to each group and enjoy!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe ill just end up getting rid of few fish and going from there like you said.
I do have a 75 gallon sitting empty that just needs the basics to be setup. gravel, rocks, hood, and lights.
BUT we have nowhere to put it at the moment lol
I recently got a 40 long for my peacocks that are only temporarily housed in a 29 and need a bigger tank desperately so it took the place of where the 75 was going to go. (still in the process of setting this tank up)

As soon as we do get some space free'd up my 75 will be my next project and it will be for my mbuna.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.